boat siding a yj

00harpdawg

So I have been thinking about boat siding my YJ but i can't quite get myself to commit to it because of all the cutting but my question is has anybody out there done this before and do you have any tricks to cutting the tub and how did you mount your sides and keep it clean. Is there any disadvantage to doing this or should i just invest in a set of genright sliders

1995zj

I'm addicted
This thread on Pirate may have some ideas....http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=633319

I personally really like the look of boatsides, and the clearance gained is very nice. However, I use my rock sliders quite a bit, and I don't know if I could get used to not having them. I guess the only downside MAY be that if you're on an obstacle like Rocker Knocker you have that much further to tip before your boatside catches you...which is probably too late anyways. But that isn't a very common situation either...

cheepin

Mine is 1.5" square tube weld straight to the body with the same running down to the frame.Then skinned with 3/16" plate.
Cj7build022.jpg

cjbuild002.jpg

cjbuild003.jpg

cheepin

No body mounts.Cage is welded to the plate along with the frame in back.Plate is 12" flat bar.I left the bottom open to let water and mud drain out.