Body Lift

kkemp

For anybody interested in adding a body lift to a Wrangler, here's a report on what I did. I know this is pretty basic info for you oldtimers. But it might be helpful for the less experienced folks like me.

I just did a body lift this weekend on my 93 YJ. I ended up using 2 kits, the Daystar bushing kit and the Proformance Accessories body lift. I chose this because the lift comes with hardware for dropping the radiator and lifting the transfer case shift lever. I'm no guru, but it made sense to me. My YJ is pretty rusty underneath and I was really worried about getting the old bolts out. I sprayed all the bolts the day before with liquid wrench. It took me under an hour to have all 11 bolts out. I also reused the metal parts from the old bushings, except for the bolts. You have to use the new bolts from the lift kit because they are longer. I had the whole job done in a few hours.

I never did add the bracket to lift the shifter. It doesn't seem to need it but I will probably add it sometime since it will make the shifter easier to reach.

The lift kit also seems to give you the choice of dropping the fan shroud or the radiator and shroud. I dropped the radiator and shrould. Dropping the radiator means the fan shroud just mounts as normal, it simply drops because you dropped the radiator.

Another approach and possibly even better is to just use a single bushing/lift kit like the one from daystar and add new motor mounts for lifting the engine one inch. However, if you do this, you will mess up the drive shaft angles and you will may get vibration. If your'e doing a spring lift at the same time, then you'll have to deal with the driveshaft anyway so lifting the engine might be the way to go.

Kevin

ALF

SURE!?
mbryson said:
Same as a body lift on a '70-80s Chev truck ;)

who needs a shroud::rolleyes: Mines hanging in the garage on the wall:ugh:

On my 97 I just notched the shroud and it worked fine. It was the differance in the BL manuf.

Trail Master BL kits came with a bolt in steering shaft extension whereas performance requires you to weld theirs in. But performance BL Kits come with spacers for the shroud.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
ALF said:
who needs a shroud::rolleyes: Mines hanging in the garage on the wall:ugh:

On my 97 I just notched the shroud and it worked fine. It was the differance in the BL manuf.

Trail Master BL kits came with a bolt in steering shaft extension whereas performance requires you to weld theirs in. But performance BL Kits come with spacers for the shroud.

I've never run my trucks without one. (That might be from my GM A-body background, though? A built motor of any kind (big or small block) will have a hard time cooling without one in that chassis.)

ALF

SURE!?
mbryson said:
I've never run my trucks without one. (That might be from my GM A-body background, though? A built motor of any kind (big or small block) will have a hard time cooling without one in that chassis.)

Sitting idle for long periods of time it gets warm but never close to overheating. My blazer originally had the 400 so it's has the large HD radiator to cool my crate 350 plus everthing is new so no problems as of yet. the real reason my shroud isn't on is because it was cracked to hell and held together with zip ties when I got it so I threw it to the side and it's been running cool enough so I never put it back on:greg: