Boston Marathon Bombing

sixstringsteve

You all seem to prefer the option of his escape and the hazard to many others over a very short search of a house. I expect a search warrant to search my house but common sense, concern for others safety, seeing the big picture would allow me to put that aside for an extreme case. You all make it seem like they do this all time already. You're having a knee jerk reaction to this one instance.

I feel more threatened by the government circumventing the 4th ammendment I do by a lone terrorist on the run (who wasn't even close to being in this area).

At what point do these infrequent suspensions of our liberties tip the scale and become frequent enough to worry you? I'm worried at any instance of infrigement of my rights, regardless of how frequently it occurs. Our government is doing far more damage to our country than terrorists ever will.

Nothing personal CJ Matt, I enjoy a good discussion.

Last edited:

CJ Matt

Those in Boston seemed happy while those in Utah seem upset. I'll go with those in Boston cheering the capture in Boston over those in Utah and other places that are paranoid over an event they had no involvement in.

sixstringsteve

[video=youtube;2LrbsUVSVl8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LrbsUVSVl8[/video]

I don't have to live in Boston to be disturbed by this video.

Last edited:

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
My issue is that this was one case where there was a terrorist on the run and had been suspected to be in an area. You all seem to prefer the option of his escape and the hazard to many others over a very short search of a house. I expect a search warrant to search my house but common sense, concern for others safety, seeing the big picture would allow me to put that aside for an extreme case. You all make it seem like they do this all time already. You're having a knee jerk reaction to this one instance.

Did this work in catching the terrorist? No, it didn't...

Basically all the houses they searched was for nothing!
People Had rights violated with no gain in the investigation.
Unless you count finding where he was not, was good investigating.

sixstringsteve

seeing some of the LEO's in that marshall law situation reminded me of the Stanford Prison Experiment, where good people got power hungry and did things they never thought they were capable of..

[video=youtube;760lwYmpXbc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=760lwYmpXbc[/video]

Same thing with the Milgram experiment and the effect of authority.

Original Milgram:
[video=youtube;nhcEFkXLCp4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhcEFkXLCp4[/video]

Reinactment:
[video=youtube;3f6LLV3fkXg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f6LLV3fkXg[/video]

Last edited:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Did this work in catching the terrorist? No, it didn't...

Basically all the houses they searched was for nothing!
People Had rights violated with no gain in the investigation.
Unless you count finding where he was not, was good investigating.

What if he was in one of those houses?

I'm not sure how I feel about the searches. If I knew that the guy was not in my house I would not want the cops to storm through and scare my family. However, if the guy was in my house and standing behind the door with a gun pointed at my head while I opened the door to the cops, I would obviously want them to search the house, without asking any questions.
This guy could have just as easily hid in the guys house as he did the in the boat. And just because he didn't doesn't mean that we shouldn't argue that it wasn't even needed. Better to be safe then sorry? Maybe.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
What if he was in one of those houses?

I'm not sure how I feel about the searches. If I knew that the guy was not in my house I would not want the cops to storm through and scare my family. However, if the guy was in my house and standing behind the door with a gun pointed at my head while I opened the door to the cops, I would obviously want them to search the house, without asking any questions.
This guy could have just as easily hid in the guys house as he did the in the boat. And just because he didn't doesn't mean that we shouldn't argue that it wasn't even needed. Better to be safe then sorry? Maybe.

You can ask "what if" questions all day, but "what if" is not the facts.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
The 711 robbery is confirmed to be unrelated. Also, the MIT officer who was shot, was shot by the 711 robber.

Also - there's video footage of the "fire fight" between officers. It shows (audibly) the two brothers surrendering and saying out loud "chill out, chill out, we didn't do it" but the police fire on them. The older brother is caught ALIVE and stripped down naked and put into a patrol car. The younger brother was able to slip away. The older brother is later deceased with some very interesting injuries and a story is released that he was shot and ran over... which is false.

I'm not claiming they did or didn't do it... but the story just keeps getting more interesting.

jentzschman

The 711 robbery is confirmed to be unrelated. Also, the MIT officer who was shot, was shot by the 711 robber.

Also - there's video footage of the "fire fight" between officers. It shows (audibly) the two brothers surrendering and saying out loud "chill out, chill out, we didn't do it" but the police fire on them. The older brother is caught ALIVE and stripped down naked and put into a patrol car. The younger brother was able to slip away. The older brother is later deceased with some very interesting injuries and a story is released that he was shot and ran over... which is false.

I'm not claiming they did or didn't do it... but the story just keeps getting more interesting.

What source is saying the older brother was caught alive, the above infowars one?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
You can ask "what if" questions all day, but "what if" is not the facts.

I don't think anyone said they were the facts. What I am saying is that if cops showed up at my door today and just asked if they could search my home I would say no. But I would gladly want them to search my home if there was a posability a fugitive could have taken cover in it without my knowledge. Better them to search it then me, in my case. I'm not prepared to find a bad guy in my house.

sixstringsteve

The beauty is that it's the home owner's decision. I have no problem with police/military searching people's houses with the owner's consent. I love that they're willing to to that for us. It's when the owner doesn't consent, and they enter anyway without a warrant, that I have a problem.

I wonder if anyone's house was searched without the owner's consent.

Regardless of consent or not, it's a shame the home owners were treated as hostiles.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Substitute teacher explaining what he witnessed. Pretty sad.

[video=youtube;LsRQyHmlLBA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsRQyHmlLBA[/video]