Bow basic's?

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
I have been thinking about trying to find myself a bow to shoot, probably not for hunting yet, and I want to know a little about them. If I were to use it for big game, what weight should it be? How do you determine what draw length you need (can you just hold a tape measure up to your cheek and stretch it out with your hand)? Is there a brand to stay away from (is PSE good, is Bear good)?
I think it would be fun to just go target practice for now, I'm still a muzzle loader freak.
Does anyone have any advice?

iwakunijeeper

*** Ambassador to Japan
I would advise you to go to an archery shop like salt lake archery they can be really helpful or Sportsmans archery they arent bad but I prefer Salt Lake Archery out of the two. They will be able to measure your draw length and help answer all of your questions.

timyota

hunting

im pretty sure that 40lbs is the minimum weight to hunt big game or it might be 45, i like hoyt the best but its just what you like go to the archery shops and they will let you test shoot some bows.

wrangler

for those about to rock..
I agree, bow shop to learn more and answer questions. Sportsmans Warehouse is also another option. They set my bow up (Reflex Excursion). They helped me with draw length and poundage. Set my arrows up and installed all the goodies. (sights, limb savers, nock point, silenters, and strings.) They can also tell you the right arrows as far as weight and style. It all depends on what your willing to spend and what your really going to use it for.

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
thanks guys, I was a little uneasy about waisting some counterpersons time (and that is about all I would be doing at first, since I woildn't be buying anything), but I guess they are the best to talk too.