brad's ghetto snorkel

Brad Yates

airwalks are cool
here it is folks. took me 2 McFlurries and 2 half days at my new storage unit in heber to do in 100* weather, and of course about 2 hours at home depot. i picked up a 95 ford truck air box for $18 at pick n pull, the filter for $8 at parts4plus and a bunch of fittings and cement and pipe at home depot for yet to be determined $.

snorkel01.jpg

snorkel02.jpg

i mounted it this way so the windshield flip down freely.
snorkel03.jpg

snorkel04.jpg

ya, ya, i know. not much clearance.
snorkel05.jpg

most of the first day i used to patch up the 2"x6" hole right here that went off to the ford stock air pickup thing.
snorkel06.jpg

now i have to find a new home for my OBA manifold. no problem. i've got 3 hours before camping time. oh yeah and looky what me and james k did tuesday with a borrowed plasma cutter (ok so james did most of it :D)

flatty20.jpg

flatty21.jpg

flatty22.jpg

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
please enlighten me......why? what do you need a snorkel for? cold air intake....we don't have many waterways deep enough to utilize a snorkel....most trails around utah are dry....maybe for Kane Creek in the spring time?!?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by spencurai
please enlighten me......why? what do you need a snorkel for? cold air intake....we don't have many waterways deep enough to utilize a snorkel....most trails around utah are dry....maybe for Kane Creek in the spring time?!?

Ditto.

yotaman

Let It Snow!!!!!!
id paint those silver things that are holding it on a color to match cause it looks a little goofy with them the way they are

muleskinner

Originally posted by spencurai

I was driving in Bear lake the other week and I barely got hub deep with 33s....and I was at least 60 feet off shore...lol....:p

Maybe you should try Moon Lake or Flaming Gorge;) :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Besides water fordging depth, there are other benefits to the snorkel, for one the air 6 feet off the ground is much, much cooler than the air under the hood of a hot engine. (cooler air = better performance). I have quite a few customers with them on LandCruisers, they swear that they don't have to change their air filters as regulary nowl, thats enough reason for me right there...

Plus, though there may not be "regular" deep crossings, all it takes is one to make that $25 snorkel pay for it self. It makes me feel safer knowing my axles, tranny/transfer, distributor and intake are all sealed to the top of my windshield, hope to never really use it but I have seen one to many vehicles lose a motor due to water (and yes I have actually ruined a Sami due to deep water)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I ran into a total idiot up AF Canyon 2 yrs ago who could have used a snorkle. It was in the Spring, with plenty of snow melting from the higher elevations. This guy was driving thru the Pittsburg Lake river-crossing & hydrolocked his motor, in a '00 TJ.

Given the right time of year, you can find deep water locally.

This guy kept trying to start the engine with the spark plugs still in. Me and a friend stumbled up on him, tried to help, then had to deliver the bad news. That motor was, more likely than not, screwed.....

Brad Yates

airwalks are cool
yes i'm from georgia. we don't have rocks in georgia, just muddy rivers. that's not the only reason i did it though. even going thru some small puddles my old setup (cut air tube with that K&N filter) would suck up water from the splash and leave me stranded for a few minutes. this setup won't, and soon all my breathers and vents with tie in to the snorkle. but putting all that aside i get a noticable gain in HP and torque going up the hill from heber to park city. the jeep no longer lags below 55 on that climb. that alone makes the time, money, and effort worth it.

Brad Yates

airwalks are cool
still trying to figure that one out. but believe me, that's definately gonna be the most ghetto part about this snorkel :D

hell if it woirks its good.I remember up at AF lake when you stalled out hitting that puddle so I guess it solves that problem.

P.S. i should have offered before but next time if you want to work on your rig at my shop Id be happy to let ya. If anything its better thean working in the sun.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by lowe1974
What happens when you are in a rain storm or snow storm? I like you snorkel but just thought of that question.

I often though of that as well in all honestly you would have to drive through alot of rain for any large amounts to gather in the bottome of the snorkel, any at that it still has to go through the filter element. I know that an open element filter that alot of guys run, is going to absord alot more water splashing through a puddle than the dismal amount of water that will make it down the snorkel tube.

Alot of bigger industrial trucks have been running snorkels for years (Isuzu's come to mind)... never heard of any problems from the water... must not be an issue.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Plus if you have seen Dante's Peak, you will know that the snorkel is obviously a life saver.... :D

hahahaha :D

(and tires will hold up to lava for a short amount of time)