Brake Line Length??

heavy18

XJNation
Hello, I've been lurking here since I bought my XJ a couple weeks back. I need to do my first (very minor) upgrade and have a question:

I've got a 2000 XJ with a 5.5" RE lift and 33s. The brake lines it has currently are about 18" and rubber. I want to go with some braided stainless I'll have custom made for me at EVCO, but I'm not sure what size to go with...

I've seen online that most upgraded SS lines are 22" and those are for a 4-6" lift. I'm wondering if I should go a little longer since I'm near the top of that range? I was thinking more like 24".

I'm planning on getting a long-arm kit in the future and want to be prepared for all that flex! ;) Plus, currently it seems that my brake lines are my limiting factor...

Thanks for the help,

aaron

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'm a big fan of using a stock (non-custom) brake line (if I break one for whatever reason, a replacement is easy/cheap to get--I'm using a '93 K3500 line and they are QUITE long). 18" brake line is quite long. Take a few pictures of what you're dealing with and post them up.

heavy18

XJNation
I'm a big fan of using a stock (non-custom) brake line (if I break one for whatever reason, a replacement is easy/cheap to get--I'm using a '93 K3500 line and they are QUITE long). 18" brake line is quite long. Take a few pictures of what you're dealing with and post them up.

Well, the way I see it is I'll keep the ones I have on there now as spares... If I ever do actually break something on the trail I'll slap one of those back on, and then when I go to get another braided line made I'll get an extra. ('cause then I'll know :D)

Here are some pics, shows you the lift and then the brake line... maybe I don't know how to measure! Regardless, it *looks* to me like I could use some more length. :confused:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 4

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The pre-made stainless lines I sell for all the Jeeps are 26" long, if you want something semi-standard. ;)

Floydargue

New guy
Droopy?

From the pic, I would probably want a little longer. But it all depends on how much droop you want. You never want the brake line to be under tension. They are suprisingly strong, but can't take the abuse for too long. See how much droop you have as is and decide if it is enough. The line needs to be long enough that there is still a little slack when something else stops the droop (preferably a limiting strap), but at the same time making sure it stays out of the way of the coil, tires, etc at all other times.

Good times.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
From the pic, I would probably want a little longer. But it all depends on how much droop you want. You never want the brake line to be under tension. They are suprisingly strong, but can't take the abuse for too long. See how much droop you have as is and decide if it is enough. The line needs to be long enough that there is still a little slack when something else stops the droop (preferably a limiting strap), but at the same time making sure it stays out of the way of the coil, tires, etc at all other times.

Good times.

That's the hard part with longer lines - keeping them out of things and not ripped off.... For that reason I re-routed mine down my control arms. Now I don't have a long brake line sitting out there to get ripped off. It runs down to the axle, T's and then runs out to each wheel - just like the rear does. You'll need a flex line at the control arm and then two flex lines out at the wheels, but IMO it's a better setup - I know I like it better... Then as your suspension height changes, you don't have to change your brake lines, either.