Brake Lines routing

Caleb

How do most of you guys runnng link suspensions route your brake lines? I was thinking about running them down my LCAs and running flex lines anywhere they will have to flex? Is there a better way? Being on the LCAs it seems they could be succeptable to damage :confused:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Supergper said:
How do most of you guys runnng link suspensions route your brake lines? I was thinking about running them down my LCAs and running flex lines anywhere they will have to flex? Is there a better way? Being on the LCAs it seems they could be succeptable to damage :confused:

Couldn't you weld some little bendable sheet metal tabs to the top of the control arms to keep the hard lines in the right spot?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
mbryson said:
Couldn't you weld some little bendable sheet metal tabs to the top of the control arms to keep the hard lines in the right spot?
You can buy those tabs too. I know Anarchy has them, maybe Rocklogic too?

Caleb

yeah, I was planning on using the tabs but was just curious if this is the same way everyone else routes them.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Supergper said:
yeah, I was planning on using the tabs but was just curious if this is the same way everyone else routes them.
Seems to be what the cool kids do. :D It can make it a small pain for adjusting your links, but once you get those dialed in, you don't have to mess with them.

Caleb

Hickey said:
Seems to be what the cool kids do. :D It can make it a small pain for adjusting your links, but once you get those dialed in, you don't have to mess with them.

well, I wonder what I'll do then cause I'm not a cool kid:rofl:

actually I was planning on having flex hose at both ends of the link so, a- it will flex as the links move and b- its easy to adjust (I'll leave some slck for this)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
On my pile, I just ran hard line to a dropped center mount on the frame, then a rubber line down to the axle. I couldn't get the rubber line to pull taught when flexed, it dropped down from the frame right in front of the axle tower for the uppers.

patriot

I'm planning on the same type of setup. I'll be starting my build this weekend. Wish me luck! Hopefully, I can get everything done by Tuesday before work starts again.

There's some pictures and part numbers for the brass fittings that I plan on using from this PBB thread. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212203
I'll tell you how it turns out. Let's hope the braking works when I'm done! :rolleyes:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Mine's the same way as Hickey's (was). Flexible line right to the top of the diff, and hard lines out to the brakes.

Caleb

RockMonkey said:
Mine's the same way as Hickey's (was). Flexible line right to the top of the diff, and hard lines out to the brakes.

the problem with that setup is with my rear cutting brakes it splits the rear lines up at the lever (in cab) so they are individual lines from there back.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I have 2 stainless braided flex lines coupled together and ran on top of my upper control arm down to the diff. I had 2 of them just laying around, so I made use of them.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
You could still do it the same way, if you wanted. Just run two lines to the top of the diff instead of one. It would make adjusting the links easier, keep your brakes lines out of possible harm, and only require one flexible line instead of two (per brake). Either way would work fine. Pick one and DO IT! :p

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I ran both my brakelines out of the cutting brake, down the driver's side UCA. They have a small flex line at each end of the UCA, then hardline again into the calipers.

Caleb

I Lean said:
I ran both my brakelines out of the cutting brake, down the driver's side UCA. They have a small flex line at each end of the UCA, then hardline again into the calipers.

how did you get hardline into the caliper?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Supergper said:
how did you get hardline into the caliper?

I used an adapter dealio, came from the rear end of a Seville. It's just a block that looks like a banjo fitting, but with the "normal" inverted flare brakeline fitting on the side of it.

Most "normal" people just use soft line with banjo fittings. I had to go to PnP to get my adapters, since that type of thing doesn't exist in the real world.

Caleb

I Lean said:
I used an adapter dealio, came from the rear end of a Seville. It's just a block that looks like a banjo fitting, but with the "normal" inverted flare brakeline fitting on the side of it.

Most "normal" people just use soft line with banjo fittings. I had to go to PnP to get my adapters, since that type of thing doesn't exist in the real world.

kinda like "a" and "b" in this pic?

6174049.jpg

(I like that idea better, I have the rubber lines right now for my calipers but they are $25 a piece...that would buy a ton of hardlines;) )

I routed Redrock5.9's down his upper arm to a junction block and on. Flex lines on the top and bottom. Simple little rubber coated loopy deal things I found at the hardware store hold the lines to the arm with self tappers. It was simple and easy to make.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Supergper said:
kinda like "a" and "b" in this pic?

(I like that idea better, I have the rubber lines right now for my calipers but they are $25 a piece...that would buy a ton of hardlines;) )

Like that, but with a female fitting instead of male. (I didn't know those even existed, forgot about Speedway....)

Caleb

I Lean said:
Like that, but with a female fitting instead of male. (I didn't know those even existed, forgot about Speedway....)

ooohhh, those would be perfect, I may just have to got on a fitting hunt in the JY this weekend:D

BTW, what size banjo bolt does your calipers use? (Mine 7/16, just wondering if that fitting will work for me)

grinch

inner city redneck
I Lean said:

Thats pritty much how we run em on are comp rig also.... except we used braided the whole way... This has been fine on the manual trans comp rig but we also ran it that way on a auto and in low range the braided flex allows enough squish to the brakes that it can be a pain to hold it still at times...
The kid who owns the auto rig is in the prosess of getting rid of the steel braided line for hard line... It will be almost identical to how I Lean runs his....