Braking Death Wobble on a Super Duty

C22

I have an '02 Ford F-250 Super Duty with over 200k miles. When I use the brakes (usually at 30-50 mph) it starts to shimmy/death wobble pretty good. I can control it by holding the steering wheel tight.

I had the brake pads replaced on the front (they were pretty much gone) and it didn't help or change the wobble (I think the rotors need to be turned, because it grabs a bit when I brake, but I don't think the wobble is related).

What else should I check? Ball joints, tie-rod ends? I plan on turning the rotors and checking the ball-joints and tie-rod ends, am I missing something obvious?

Thanks.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Check the ball joints, I have put 2 sets in mine. Also check the track bar and mounting bolt. Its supposed to be around 500 pounds of torque if I rememer. I also had to adjust my steering box

78mitsu

might want to put a dial indicator on the brake rotor as well. If it's just when breaking you may have severly warped rotors.

baerpaws

Gillet told me Fords are famous for that. It is usually the rotor warping. Even if you turn them they will warp again. The biggest reason is how you brake and the loads you carry. I have changed my braking habits alot and I am always hauling something.
just my experience

ClintE

i make stuff
Another thing to check are the caliper slide pins. They will show the same behavior as a warped rotor but its more common than the warped rotor. They need to be pulled and greased every once in a while.

It could be the wonderful "unibearing" that Ford is famous for. Just jack up one side and see if your wheel moves up or down if their is no play in the ball joints, welcome to the unibearing. Upgrade to the Danatrac servicable hub and bearing kit.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
It could be the wonderful "unibearing" that Ford is famous for. Just jack up one side and see if your wheel moves up or down if their is no play in the ball joints, welcome to the unibearing. Upgrade to the Danatrac servicable hub and bearing kit.

It's almost 5 times cheaper to get a bearing with a lifetime warranty like mine.

C22

We're going to do the rotors this week (I'll check everything else while we're in there).

Thanks.

LT.

I don't want to discourage you but, we had a 2006 Ford Superduty with the Powerstroke engine in it and we had two different dealers state that there was a problem with the truck and they could not fix it. We spend a great deal of money and time on the problem and we even tried to get Ford to buy the truck back. A lot of court time and we still had the truck. We ended up trading it in for a Dodge mega-cab Diesel. I also know that this problem was not just on the Diesels. Another friend of mine has an 06 Ford Superduty with a V-10 that also has the same death wobble problem. Good luck with yours.

LT.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I don't want to discourage you but, we had a 2006 Ford Superduty with the Powerstroke engine in it and we had two different dealers state that there was a problem with the truck and they could not fix it. We spend a great deal of money and time on the problem and we even tried to get Ford to buy the truck back. A lot of court time and we still had the truck. We ended up trading it in for a Dodge mega-cab Diesel. I also know that this problem was not just on the Diesels. Another friend of mine has an 06 Ford Superduty with a V-10 that also has the same death wobble problem. Good luck with yours.

LT.

Different suspension though

C22

Problem Solved!

So it took a while, but the wobble is gone. We replaced the ball joints first (replacing them helped significantly, but still had some wobble when braking). Turning the front rotors took it away completely.

Thanks to all who gave input.