Braking issue

Tebbsjeep

My friend ran into an issue on his sisters 98 4runner. You can press the brake pedal and get good pedal resistance, but it seems as though the calipers aren't clamping hard enough. He has put new pads, calipers and hoses on it and bled the system multiple times to no avail. Can a master cylinder fail without getting a soft or spongy feeling? What else could be causing the issue? You can pump the pedal and get the same pressure every time and it holds, so I'm not inclined to think it's the master cylinder, but maybe I'm wrong. Any suggestions?

ricsrx

Sorry I don't have an answer for you but my 99 runner has done the same thing in the past, only in the morning in winter when backing out of the driveway, I replaced all the parts you have and although it helped a lot my brakes are far from 100%...

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Has he replaced or turned the rotors?

I had this same issue, turns out I had glazed the rotors so bad there was no way the pads were going to be able to bite in and stop the truck.

After replacing the pads with OEM Toyota parts, turning the rotors and drums and adjusting the rear shoes I can slap the brakes while creeping forward and it jerks hard.

Jesser04

Has he replaced or turned the rotors?

I had this same issue, turns out I had glazed the rotors so bad there was no way the pads were going to be able to bite in and stop the truck.

After replacing the pads with OEM Toyota parts, turning the rotors and drums and adjusting the rear shoes I can slap the brakes while creeping forward and it jerks hard.
What this guy said had the same problem on my bil's tj.

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
It's very commonly over looked but I would adjust the rear shoes first. If they are far out of adjustment it can cause soft pedal feel or weak brakes in the runners and tacos.

yota87truck

Yotas ROCK
Had this same issue with my '00 4Runner. Couldn't find the problem for the life of me.

Brake Booster:
Thought it was my brake booster.... replaced... actually made the problem worse.

Brake Flush:
Then I bought a Motive Products power bleeder and several bottles of Toyota brake fluid and flushed all my lines with new fluid. Still not fixed.

Speed Sensor:
I then pulled all the speed sensors and checked to see if any were dirty and sending a false signal. Those were all clean and seemed fine

Brake Pads:
I then pulled all my brakes apart. Started on the fronts. They were packed full of mud so I cleaned the pads calipers, everything. Still no change although I was glad I cleaned out the mud.

Drums(MY SOLUTION):
Finally I pulled off the drums one at a time and applied the brakes. I found the Passenger rear piston was sticking. I banged it back closed and applied the brakes a few more times til it stopped sticking and put back together the brake system for a final time.

I went for a test drive. Finally I saw an improvement in the brake system.

But, now my current problem is that the abs brakes activate prematurely. Like, way prematurely (and randomly - very scary). My solution to that was opening up the fuse box and adding a switch on the wire coming out of the abs fuse. When switched off the abs light is on and abs system is disabled. But I can switch it back on at any time (like for Safety and Emissions Inspections).

From what I can tell the next step is to take my 4Runner in to a dealership for them to run the abs computer and re-figure it.

Sorry for the long post. Hope it helps. I looked and looked for a solution to my problem and never found one.