Broke Atlas

flexyfool

GDW
I have to eat crow on this. A while back I claimed the Atlas was strong enough for all but super heavy rigs and maybe Ultra 4. Well, my 5:1 Atlas has been making groaning and knocking sounds in 4LO when coasting. It's gotten worse over the past couple months. I pulled it and found broken teeth. Two on the main shaft and quite a few on the rear gear. None on the front gear. Everything is tight so I have to blame it on simply overloading the gears. I'm surprised, but not especially annoyed since the unit lasted 10 years.

Attachments

• chipped_teeth.jpg
    chipped_teeth.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 66

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
10 years is a pretty good run with the type of abuse we put them through! I think I'm 11 or 12 years on my 4.3:1. (in it's 3rd rig...) Still kicking!

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Easy fix. Also some of the best people to deal with for repair.

I totally agree. I had to replace the input shaft on mine last year, and they were great to work with. I called them once or twice for help and they happily answered all of my questions.

flexyfool

GDW
Average customer service so far for me. AA won't cover it under warranty; even though, the web site says lifetime warranty for the case and gears with the usual blah blah blah disclaimers. AA says it is too old, and the design has changed so a complete set of gears, input shaft, and rebuild kit is needed. That's like 3/4 of a new unit. Basically, if your Atlas is built before '07 or thereabouts, you're screwed if something happens to the gears. I'm waiting on a quote.

Last edited:

UFAB

Just ordered a few t-cases. Service was great. Only took 13 days to get.

As for a heavily used t-case over 5 years old. Not sure anyone out there would warranty.

Part of the sport^hobby. Things break and they cost loads to fix.

I would send it to atlas to rebuild. Shipping round trip 200 bones

Complete bearing replacement and seals 350 bones

3 hours of their labor

Plus a set of gears

Cheaper to buy a new one or a used one.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1401245006735.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401245006735.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 13
  • uploadfromtaptalk1401245016174.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401245016174.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 14
  • uploadfromtaptalk1401245056977.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401245056977.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 11

flexyfool

GDW
Cheaper to buy a new one or a used one.

Yeah. I agree. Actually, I bought a new unit before removing the old. The new unit arrived in less than 2 weeks. I've done $15K worth of business with AA over the years. I like the products and have had things delivered on time mostly. The only issue was some minor brake stuff that took months to arrive.

I just think people should know that AA won't honor the advertised lifetime warranty for gears and case. It's probably SOP. A surprisingly large number of companies do not cover warranty (or even pay suppliers) unless under threat of a lawsuit.

Last edited: