broken axle

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
teehehe, i broke my first axle last night driving around up in Olympus Cove area... i was loaded down with people, which my zuk rarely sees more than three at any one time, and i took a big bump pretty fast.... snap crackel pop!! oh well... pulled the d-line and drove to Paul's house in front wheel drive. time to dig it out and throw a new one in.

i blame this all on JJJZJ(sp?) too... he was telling me the day before about his axle breaking in a p-lot...

-Jason

Paul R

Yep some hard core mall wheelin'... :rofl: :rofl:
i'm just suprised we didn't see tweaky on the "trail" :rofl:

James K

NO, I'm always like this
stripeshirtman said:
Yep some hard core mall wheelin'... :rofl: :rofl:
i'm just suprised we didn't see tweaky on the "trail" :rofl:

well hell with him having the most capable rig, I would think he would of been there to help :rofl: :rofl:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
ok, i got the axles pulled just now... the left one(long one) is the one i thought broke.. come to find its intact, except for some really ugly and chewed splines.. wtf? i guess it's time to pull the third and check that out.

anyone have any ideas as to what might have happened before i dig into it more?

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Elder SAMI said:
ok, i got the axles pulled just now... the left one(long one) is the one i thought broke.. come to find its intact, except for some really ugly and chewed splines.. wtf? i guess it's time to pull the third and check that out.

anyone have any ideas as to what might have happened before i dig into it more?

maybe your spool ate the splines :-\

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
James K said:
maybe your spool ate the splines :-\

that's exactly what i'm thinkin' happened....

the spool should be ok, right? we're about to pull it and then grab some food..

you should see the splines on this axle... they look like sh!t!! we'll have to post some pics..

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Elder SAMI said:
that's exactly what i'm thinkin' happened....

the spool should be ok, right? we're about to pull it and then grab some food..

you should see the splines on this axle... they look like sh!t!! we'll have to post some pics..

knock on wood, the splines should be ok.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
... my options are limited anyways.. i just hope it holds up in Moab.

stupid weak zuk stuff :ugh:

Last edited:

suv

Booty-fab Instructor
I think I read somewhere that you can substitute a faucet stem (Delta p/n #2453-897N) for a samurai axle shaft. Plus, they're made of brass so they'll flex more before they break! :redneck:

So, Jason - how did the rear cage work out with those Acro-Megaly chicks you put in the back seat?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
suv said:
I think I read somewhere that you can substitute a faucet stem (Delta p/n #2453-897N) for a samurai axle shaft. Plus, they're made of brass so they'll flex more before they break! :redneck:

So, Jason - how did the rear cage work out with those Acro-Megaly chicks you put in the back seat?

hardy harhar!

the cage is great

suv

Booty-fab Instructor
Elder SAMI said:
i'll get some tomorrow when i finish up the axle...

Here are the pics of the mini-spool. We thought it was just stripped splines, but after disassembling the carrier it turned out to be a bit more:

shmoesmith

suv said:
Here are the pics of the mini-spool. We thought it was just stripped splines, but after disassembling the carrier it turned out to be a bit more:

holy cow m8.....shouldnt the spool be stronger than the axle or something? Did you get that at Trail Tough or AAPA? Does it have a warranty?

Vonski

nothing to see here...
suv said:

That sucks that it broke the mini-spool. However, it's good that it's under warranty. No need to put any money into those axles.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
shmoesmith said:
holy cow m8.....shouldnt the spool be stronger than the axle or something? Did you get that at Trail Tough or AAPA? Does it have a warranty?

i called up Brent at Trail Tough and told him my situation.... he was super cool about it and said it broke cause my housing is bent... he sent me out a new one for free that will get here Wed. morning. so hopefully we'll get it all bolted together, onto the trailer, and down to Moab. i am this close to putting a new straight housing under it too... we'll see... i hate to put more money in it....

-Jason

Paul R

troutbum said:
those must've been some fat chicks.
:eek:

oh wait it's a zuk

must've been A fat chick -_-

Yeah, it was Tweaky's girlfriend... or boyfriend, i couldn't really tell..

:rofl: