Broken lug nut

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
I broke a lug nut in half today on my pickup trying to change the brakes. Now I can't get the wheel off. Any suggestions?

Sent from my BAD ASS phone via Tapatalk

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
You'll need:

1/2" drill bit

1 replacement wheel stud

24 quality lug nuts (toss your's in the trash)

A good hand drill

And last but not least, patience. You'll be a while drilling that out.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
The make some sockets that are made to bite onto that and take it off... I used them at Big o all the time.. They should work if they can get a bite

Chevycrew

Tight fitting 12 point socket, pound it on, then spin oFf. I use this method all the time on splined, and wheel locks.

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
^ is what I would do, but I would use a cheap socket as it can ruin them... But this is the way ive had the most sucess.

thenag

You'll need:

1/2" drill bit

1 replacement wheel stud

24 quality lug nuts (toss your's in the trash)

A good hand drill

And last but not least, patience. You'll be a while drilling that out.

That divot on the end of the stud should make it easy to drill in the center of the stud, just need to find a good comfortable position to sit to drill straight and level... at least enough to destroy the stud...

nathan
--99 xj

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
That would work for a bolt but he can't get the nut off.

Could not see the picture that well. So back to the chisel or 12 point, I have also used a air grinder with a small cut off wheel. If you don't have air you can use a hand impact driver and small hand sledge with the 12 point.

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
2 deep 3/4 inch hole saws (wore the first one out). Fit a little big around the lug, drilled off the lug nut it left a small sliver of the lug nut around the bolt twisted it off with some vise grips and saved the lug and got the wheel off. change the brakes, Kroiled the lugs up good then put it back together. I should have taken pics but I wasn't blessed with much patience and I was to pissed off to remember.