Bronco....?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I might get this 1985 Ford Bronco. The body is in poor shape due to rust in the rear area and a tree linb fell on it and damaged the top. The Bronco has a little 302 EFI ( I think EFI) that is a sweet runner and a 9" rear. It has a nice low range, maybe a 435? Maybe a 208?

Is this thing worth messing with? Is the 9" a good one?

Any input?

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Traitor........ :shawn:

(I could see you considering a Chebby, maybe) :D

Shawn said:
I might get this 1985 Ford Bronco. The body is in poor shape due to rust in the rear area and a tree linb fell on it and damaged the top. The Bronco has a little 302 EFI ( I think EFI) that is a sweet runner and a 9" rear. It has a nice low range, maybe a 435? Maybe a 208?

Is this thing worth messing with? Is the 9" a good one?

Any input?

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
I've got an 85 efi bronco and it's a blast. a little fender triming and you can fit 36's and not ever get hassled by the cops. it's nice to diversify too. gives you some new stuff to research. check out this site it'll get you goin. besides with a ford you always know whats wrong with it cause they circled it for ya :rofl:

way2nosty

nothing wrong with a bronco, I love those 302s tho- spinnin little motors, gotta watch for the block splittin down the middle. I had one cracked from the rear main to the front cam bearing, made an aweful racket, thought it had thrown a rod/ spun a bearing - nope - block cracked toooo many ponies dancin on the block.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
That was one of the last years that the 9" was produced=good one. Wheel the piss outta it after you swap in a solid front end.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Check the front hubs closely!! Some late 85's and early 86's had the Bronco2 style hubs....not the standard dana 44 internal spline style. Yet, another Ford brain fart....but they got rid of it fast. Problem is there are no longer service parts available for them and you have to swap spindles out to convert them to the regular style....even the brake rotors are goofy.
If the hub is like the one in the lower right of this pic, stay away unless it is almost free!!

Attachments

• 4x4_hubs_standard.jpg
    4x4_hubs_standard.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 88

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
way2nosty said:
nothing wrong with a bronco, I love those 302s tho- spinnin little motors, gotta watch for the block splittin down the middle. I had one cracked from the rear main to the front cam bearing, made an aweful racket, thought it had thrown a rod/ spun a bearing - nope - block cracked toooo many ponies dancin on the block.

That doesn't sound like a common problem. Not that I'm a F*rd enthusiast, but I've never heard of that happening.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
mbryson said:
That doesn't sound like a common problem. Not that I'm a F*rd enthusiast, but I've never heard of that happening.
It happens a lot when you let horses prance around in your engine bay...

SnwMnkys

mbryson said:

Its a common problem with high horse power 302s. 351W dont have the problem. Even a stud girdle doesnt fix it. Has something to do with lack of material on the top end of the block i believe.

maybe a 435? Maybe a 208?

Probably has the 208 in it, and as for the hubs, you'll want to switch them out for Warn Premiums anyway.

Are you sure its EFI? As far as I know the only 85's that came EFI'd were California models, unless it was swapped on. You should also have the C6 in it.

Run the TTB until you trash the hell outta it, then SAS it. The TTB will let you have more fun than you think.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Burl Swift said:
Are you sure its EFI? As far as I know the only 85's that came EFI'd were California models, unless it was swapped on. You should also have the C6 in it.
Yep, EFI... C6 is an Auto this is a stick.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Burl Swift said:
Probably has the 208 in it, and as for the hubs, you'll want to switch them out for Warn Premiums anyway.

Not possible without changing the spindles, wheelhubs, and rotors, IF it is the oddball bronco 2 style.

As a side not, on the internal style warn hub, the actually locking mechanism is the same on the premiums and the regular hubs. The only dif is the caps. Personally I prefer the regurlar caps....easier to grab.... ;)

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Just how many rigs is too many rigs? :rofl:

UHHHH the title of this post meant that I HAD to post some response...........