Budget 4 stroke bike?

StormRider

So the kids got a Pitster Pro mx110ss for christmas, and I've been looking around for a budget bike I can ride around with them. I've ridden street bikes for 20 years, but I have no experience with dirt bikes. I've been looking at Honda XR 200's and 400's on KSL. The 200 is probably low on the power side for me (6', 200lbs), but the older kid is already flat footed on the 110ss, so she could move up into the 200 later this year.
I'm mostly looking to do easy trail rides with the kids. What else should I be looking for that's going to be in the $1,000 - $1,500 range?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I'd say you are on the right track. An XR200 would be a good starting point and won't break the bank. I'm 5' 10" 220 and rode a TTR 250 all over and loved it. They can be had for around your price range as well.

Chase39

Yeah an xr 200 will be plenty. i have a 300+ pound uncle that trail rides one like no other. its got stiffer springs of course but still tears it up! theyre really fun trail bikes. I've raced motocross for years and can still have plenty of fun on one of those bikes. Plus they run forever if you take care of them.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Yeah an xr 200 will be plenty. i have a 300+ pound uncle that trail rides one like no other. its got stiffer springs of course but still tears it up! theyre really fun trail bikes. I've raced motocross for years and can still have plenty of fun on one of those bikes. Plus they run forever if you take care of them.

Define "forever"? I see all you guys talking about getting "hours" out of your motors, and sometimes it seems like not very many hours. Makes me hesistant to get into the hobby.

boogie_4wheel

I would do an XR250 over a 200. Opens you up to a lot more aftermarket options, and is a lot more and better bike to begin with.

I think budget would be anything that starts with a 2 (200, 230, 250), with years and prices all over the place. Keep your eyes open, because some that size can be got with electric start, if that is a priority to you.

Define "forever"? I see all you guys talking about getting "hours" out of your motors, and sometimes it seems like not very many hours. Makes me hesistant to get into the hobby.
From what I've seen and read, the newer bikes are the 'not very many hours'. The MX bikes are all about power and weight. They rev like 2 strokes, the piston is barely tall enough for the rings, some have stupid short maintenance schedules. It really depends on the bike (manufacturer, model, engine size even). I would expect a CRF 450 to outlast a CRF 250 just because you don't have to run it as hard to do the same task.
My old XR probably has 15k miles on it AFTER the 440 kit. 3rd gear has been replaced twice from wear (just wore out and starts whining). I know the original owner really well, and the whole history, that's the reason I bought it. It still runs great, I ride it everywhere without hesitation, valve checks are as simple as they come.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
My thoughts are Honda XR400, Honda XR250, Suzuki DR350, Kawasaki KDX200 (two stroke) and maybe Kawasaki KLX250-300 in no particular order. If you could stretch the budget a bit I'd go for a Yamaha WR250F for the liquid cooling and electric start. The stop-go-stop-go-stop-go with kids makes the e-start a really nice addition. XR200's are great I just prefer the larger chassis and suspension on the bikes I listed.

Last edited:

Chase39

You go by hours on a bikes that don't have odometers. You can put hour meters on them or just estimate. But it really all depends on how its rode and maintained. My 2010 Kawi 450 I fully rebuilt it the about November of last year. I raced or rode almost every weekend from December to August of this year and the bike is long over due on a piston/rings and definitely needs a tranny rebuild. That's racing 450-pro. pushing that bike all the way, all the time while changing the oil every weekend. sometimes twice. i would estimate 125-175 hours on it which is quite good because kawi recommends a new piston and rings like every 20 hours. But I chock that up to Good oil and frequent changes.

Now my uncles xr200 gets rode summers once or twice a month and has had the darn thing for about 18 years without rebuilding it. If you are just riding it in the mountains playing around it will last you "forever" but if you go out and run up sand mountain 100 times in a weekend in the middle of july nonstop, yeah that thing's gonna die quick.

why i think he should get a 200 is because they're awesome cheap trail bikes that are good to buy if you have never rode and perfect to learn on. If you have the want or money to spend on a better bike than sweet do that haha but the ole Xr-200 will be a good trail bike for anybody.