Jeep Budget building my underdog YJ

JeeperG

Now that things are wrapping up on the hot rod I've been at home getting back to a whole bunch of unfinished YJ projects. I've had this thing for 25 years and for now I plan on retaining the 2.5 AMC and just making it streetable again. I've already replaced the transmission, rebuild the transfer case, replaced the exhaust from the header back, new map sensor, headlight switch, battery, battery cables, new diodes in the ECM.

I also flatfendered it and I'm still mocking that stuff up, not sure how I'm going to coat this stuff yet but I might just do a primer sealer and single stage black?
Looking at these huge gaps on my inner fenders
1000006133.jpg
Maybe I could cut to fit and mount this neoprene I have laying around?
1000006143.jpg
Lights, blinkers etc are all working properly again. I also changed a bunch of cluster gauge bulbs to LED.
1000006148.jpg
These fenders are also replacing the plastic fender flares.
1000006144.jpg
I have tire stuffed enough that the original inner fenders were cracking pretty bad, not a problem now. Rear fender wells need to be opened up more when this stuff comes off.
1000006146.jpg
I also need to get a new tailgate soon while I'm finishing mock up. After I get this stuff coated and back together I need to address the axles, I'm thinking I should start gathering parts to build the dana 30 and also the 8.8 I have laying around, regear to like a 5.13? Lockers and just enjoy it the way it is while the little AMC has some life in it and sometime in the future redo it all with a bigger engine but that's not going to be anytime soon.

Keep it spring under?

I also have an air compressor laying around I can mount and run off the serpentine for some onboard air?

JeeperG

Took her out for a little burn around the block, seems to be running okay, forgot how sketchy she is, rides like a tank.
1000006153.jpg

1000006152.jpg

1000006151.jpg

1000006150.jpg
Some other things are new door panels, lift gates, see if I can clean up the hardtop and all the dash plastics, check anything rubber, swing out tire carrier and attach points at the rear? I'm sure I'll find more that needs addressed as I go.
Integrate the side marker lights into these new fenders with some small orange LEDs? Holley retrobrights?

JeeperG

I’d definitely get a selectable locker for the rear. The lock-rite in my YJ rear makes it pretty sketchy on the road with such a short wheelbase.
Oh no doubt, ifn I'm gonna go to all the trouble of building up some axles I might as well. First I need to get the bare metal stuff taken care of. Weird to think how little I see YJs on the road these days with everyone and their fancy new stuff.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I’d definitely get a selectable locker for the rear. The lock-rite in my YJ rear makes it pretty sketchy on the road with such a short wheelbase.
I would totally forget about the Spartan in the back of my 4Runner until I'd change throttle in the middle of a sweeping highway corner, and then I would pee my pants a little. Selectable for a street rig for sure.

I like the bare metal stuff. I think you should clear it just like that.