Buggy Builders

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
What are the most common sizes of tubes that you use to build a buggy?

I'm going to get a 1 3/4" die and was also looking at the 1 1/2". Are there any other commonly used sizes I should consider?

Thanks,

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
OD, and if I remember correctly, the schedule ## indicates wall thickness, but don't quote me on that.

Speaking of tubing, what is stronger and what is lightest: 1.5" OD thick wall or 1.75" thin wall?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Most use 1.75 x .120, but other sizes are becoming more common these days.

Carls buggy is 1.5" tube.

I believe Tube is measured OD and pipe is measured ID. It's possible I'm backwards on that though.

Cody

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by RedRock5.9
OD, and if I remember correctly, the schedule ## indicates wall thickness, but don't quote me on that.

I'm talkin Tubing not Pipe, there is no schedule # in tubing.

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
Originally posted by RedRock5.9
Speaking of tubing, what is stronger and what is lightest: 1.5" OD thick wall or 1.75" thin wall?

[incoherent rambling on]
So, to answer my own question, 1.5"OD thick-wall (.120) is heavier per foot (1.79lb/ft) than 1.75" thin-wall (.065) or 2.00 thin-wall (1.18 and 1.36lb/ft, respectively). Figures.

Still trying to determing which would be stronger, since it seems going with larger diameter and thinner wall could save quite a bit of weight on a full tubed buggy. Guess I'm thinking along the lines of mt. bike frames, where the aluminum frames use larger diameter and thinner wall and are supposedly as strong as the cro-moly frames of smaller diameter and thicker wall.

Of course this could be a moot point if we're talking about saving only 10 lbs on a full body cage. [/incoherent rambling off]

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
1.75" 120 wall is used in roll cages because of it's smaller size and strenth. You could get a way with 1.75" 120 wall main hoops and 1.75" 90 wall spread bars and suport bars.

As mentioned above, Carl made his out of 1.50" 120 wall because of the size and weight of his buggy.

If you made a roll cage out of 2" 60 wall, as soon as you rolled you would have to replace the pieces that hit the ground. 120 wall would just scratch (unless you rolled hard).

Bones

I used all 1.75" 0.120 wall on my first cage. The owner of the bender had that die, so I used it. I MIGHT buy him a 1.5" die this time around. I have a ways till that day though.
XO1.jpg

XO2.jpg

XO3.jpg

Caleb

For sure tube is OD and pipe is ID...check the rules for any comps you may consider entering because I'm pretty sure they are all requiring .120 wall for mild steel, chromo and such are different...I personally wouldn't use anything thinner...think about it, .120 wall is already just a hair thinner than 1/8th inch...thats pretty damn thin if you ask me...

rockraven

Bending software...I shouldn't assume but, most of you probably can't afford to spend this kind of money on a program so as soon as I work out the details I may offer a computing service to individuals who need one or two main cage tubes, with multiple planes and bends, bent. If there is someone who is interested in the program(Bend Tech) it's $250. It's a specialized 3d cad-like
bending program. you have to design your tube on paper but,you only need to know where you want the tube to start, intersection of the bends and the end in a X,Y,Z format. takes about 5 min to load it in and it will tell you how far to measure up the tube, how much of an angle to bend, how much to rotate the tube,then how far to the next bend etc... The tube you loaded is shown on the screen in 3d you can rotate the veiw in any direction. It saves alot of headaches and a big pile of twisted tube. You'll have to e-mail me. I don't have a site yet.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by rockraven
Bending software.......

Thats preety cool... who makes it? I was thinking of drawing up a tube frame in Pro-E but this program sounds even better from a production standpoint...:D

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Speaking of bending software, check JD2's site (www.jd2.com). In the opening page, he states that he is working on a free download of bending software.

It may not have all the functionality of a full on program, but if it ever happens, it would be cool.

Free stuff is good!

rockraven

Originally posted by cruiseroutfit

Thats preety cool... who makes it? I was thinking of drawing up a tube frame in Pro-E but this program sounds even better from a production standpoint...:D

20/20 It only takes about 5 min to load a tube design.