Buggy or Exo, help me decide.

Buggy or Exo Cage??

• Buggy!! Just do it and don't look back!

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Exo!! You still want to drive it on the street, right?

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
frickin CNC bender...that is some serious coin there. but you can just hire some idiot mexican to do the work for you with little training other than a tape measure and a soap stone.

84 4Runner

Restless 'Runner
Don't I remember you saying at one point that you have built your truck as you have in order to be able to make it up virtually any trail while still being able to drive it on the street?

I agree that an exo can be any number of unpleasant things (ugly, heavy, not strong enough, etc), but maybe you could do some sort of a hybrid (similar to Von's). Getting rid of the bed would probably solve a lot of problems of weight and strength, but you could still keep it legal as long as you keep the cab.

Personally I vote against buggy (offroad/trailer only, even for short trips) because it seems like such a pain to have to trailer your rig anytime you want to go wheeling. No more short trips to a nearby canyon or trail. No more throwing the gear in the truck and not worrying about loading up the trailer or finding a place to park the tow vehicle while you're wheeling. No more taking the truck camping because it's fun to drive. No more staying warm and dry during wet and cold weather.

It seems to me that you get less use out of a buggy than a truck with an exo or at least something with a cab. It may be that I am biased because I prefer Toyotas with bodies over buggies, but I have my reasons. :) I say keep it legal. Keep as much body as you can, but cage/tube the rest. Good luck. Keep us posted. :D

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by 84 4Runner
Don't I remember you saying at one point that you have built your truck as you have in order to be able to make it up virtually any trail while still being able to drive it on the street?

I agree that an exo can be any number of unpleasant things (ugly, heavy, not strong enough, etc), but maybe you could do some sort of a hybrid (similar to Von's). Getting rid of the bed would probably solve a lot of problems of weight and strength, but you could still keep it legal as long as you keep the cab.

Personally I vote against buggy (offroad/trailer only, even for short trips) because it seems like such a pain to have to trailer your rig anytime you want to go wheeling. No more short trips to a nearby canyon or trail. No more throwing the gear in the truck and not worrying about loading up the trailer or finding a place to park the tow vehicle while you're wheeling. No more taking the truck camping because it's fun to drive. No more staying warm and dry during wet and cold weather.

It seems to me that you get less use out of a buggy than a truck with an exo or at least something with a cab. It may be that I am biased because I prefer Toyotas with bodies over buggies, but I have my reasons. :) I say keep it legal. Keep as much body as you can, but cage/tube the rest. Good luck. Keep us posted. :D

You're memory is too good! :p Wheelin is a very progressive sport... I wanna progress, too! Most of my friends that I wheel with are in Buggys, flopping their Junk and running trails like Proving Grounds... I want to be more than a bystander on those trails! Plus, having a rig that you don't have to sweat rolling would be that much more enjoyable.

You have many very good points though.... I agree with 'em and can see the benefits of both & that's why I'm looking at my options.

We'll see what happens! ;)