Buggy Question

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
So for those who have built thier own tube buggy, how did you start the design? I don't have auto cad. Did you draw some pics, make a 1/4 scale out of hanger, what? I'm sure some will say they just laid down the tube and put it together.

Tell me.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Solidworks, Pro-E would be my first choice... But thats just because I am familiar with them. Unless you are interested in doing FEA, Autocad would be fine.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I thought about using AutoCad, but never got around to it. I drew several (unscaled) versions on paper and researched a lot of existing chassis' to see what has worked and what hasn't.

But then, I just started out with the lower frame piece of the buggy and built off of that. I never really looked at any of my drawings during the build. I measured the drivetrain and built around it. It more or less came from my mind instead of the plans.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I drew mine 1/4 scale on graph paper first (took three tries to get it right). I also used Solidworks to get the angles on the frame right.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I'm interested in having a design tested w/some FEA..... is it a HUGE hassle to get the design mocked up??
I've been using graph paper and Photoshop to mock up some tubed additions to my old Cherokee. 'Bout as high tech as it's getting here LOL

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Cool, I guess I will just figure out a base and work from there. It will need to be a 4 seater, narrow, and have 108" WB.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Tacoma said:
I'm interested in having a design tested w/some FEA..... is it a HUGE hassle to get the design mocked up?? ...

Anyone familiar with FEA is going to charge quite the penny... I have done small amounts using Pro-E, not really enough to integrate the use in an entire buggy. Though a chassis would be fairly simple to evaluate. The hardest part of evaluating a chassis would be knowing the constraints at each mounting point (control arms, motor, steering, etc). It would be cool to evaluate though... mabey next sememster :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
lenny said:
Whats FEA?

Finite Element Analysis. Basically with intense drafting & design software, you can specify the type of materials used, the type of weld joints, and all the geometry... add the forces that each link (control arm mounts, motor mounts, steering, etc) will encounter, and the software will actually show you potential problems and weak links in your design. Sound too good to be true... its not, it has been proven in the aeronautics industry for years, many engineers specialize in its use, really cool stuff.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
cool.. that figures LOL

I would love to test a design for a press I have... to see if the pressure is distributed evenly enough if it's made of wood. I guess I'll have to build one and see!