Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2005 4Runner Lorenzo

sixstringsteve

We each have different needs with our fridges.

The compressor on the fridge takes up about the same amount of space as ice in my other coolers. I don't need room for a ton of food, and I don't get soggy sandwiches witg a traditional cooler, so for me a fridge doesn't make the most sense. They're cool little devices though, that's for sure. I'd rather have more room in my rig than have a fridge. The comoressor, power cord, and lid take up a lot of space. I can see where a fridge would be a huge benefit, but for my uses the cons outweigh the pros.

Even if this fridge were free, I'd still pick a regular cooler for 90% of my trips. With 3-4 adults + gear in the runner, usable storage space trumps the hassle of ice.

Like I said, fridges are awesome, just not right for me in this case. If I never have a big 4x4 van, a fridge will be one of the first things I buy.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I LOVE the fridge for my JKU... Rented on last EJS and need to find some funds to purchase. Just need to get this house thing settled and do the fridge thing

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Steve, I'm in the planning stage for a set of drawes and platform in a vehicle and an interested in the framing stuff you used. Do you have more pics of the build? Any recommended do's or dont's?

sixstringsteve

Steve, I'm in the planning stage for a set of drawes and platform in a vehicle and an interested in the framing stuff you used. Do you have more pics of the build? Any recommended do's or dont's?

It's called unistrut (superstrut is a brand that can be found at home depot and lowes). It's galvanized, so I recommend not welding it indoors. No more pics of the build for this rig, but I used it on Abner as well.

IMG_3070.JPG

IMG_3071.JPG

IMG_3072.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3080.JPG

IMG_3082.JPG

IMG_3083.JPG

y19

Let me be the last to congratulate you on your new 4runner. I haven't been here in years but just dropped by. I have a 2006 that looks just like it, the sport version with same engine. I got a "deal" if there is any such thing, from a dealer, on a used 2006 with 50k miles when Toyota had all the recall problems and their prices tanked for a while. It's been a great vehicle, we even use it to haul a small horse trailer with 2 horses with no problem. I did put the expensive BFG's on it, (1k for 4), and it does make a big difference on gravel. The rear was a bit saggy, I took it to Big O and said put on some new shocks, and guess what, my runner doesn't use shocks, has some really complicated shock absorbing system, that doesn't use conventional shocks. Instead we replaced the rear springs-and it made a big difference, raised the rear up again. The only problem I've had with the car is both manifolds cracked, one after the other within a year, right where it attaches to the engine, and it started to make that chuffing sound. Cost about 1300 per side to have fixed, 2600 total. I've heard that this was a common problem with the V-8, that the aluminum to cast iron expands differently, and so these tiny cracks develop, and then open up and become a problem. Since the catalytic converters are part of the manifold, it's an expensive fix. I also have a 98 gen 3 4runner, so I also have noticed the heat and fan controls a very complicated in comparison, since I don't usually drive the car, I have to look down at the controls to operate them. My wife loves the car so much, that she wanted me to get another one, with low miles, but as you know Toyota quite putting the V-8 in the next generation 4runners. Overall, though, we love the car, and it now has 200k miles on it. (My gen 3 just passed 300k miles) Are 4runner owners weird? I wonder how. To tell the truth, while I love the 4runners, I do most of my running around in an old baby Cherokee, while my wife and daughter drive the 4runners.

sixstringsteve

Yes, I love this rig. I'm extremely impressed with these tires.

The only thing I would change if I were to do it all over again is that I would have picked one without a sunroof and dvd player. I might also go for none with cloth seats too. I also wish there were an easier way to run an aux cable into the stereo. Apart from that I have zero complaints about this rig. It's super comfortable, plenty capable for my needs, and it's quick with the v8. I love the lift and ucas I went with, and the lift didn't make it handle any worse on the road.

The only other rig I'd prefer is a 2nd Gen tacoma, but they're still way out of my price range.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

You suck. Congrats man, that's gorgeous. Its even my favorite color. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford one of those with less than 100k.

DewYota

im starting my own build thread, its been a few years since ive been on the fourms. how do i make my pictures bigger? photobucket or something?

sixstringsteve

I'm toying with the idea of selling this rig and getting a '05-'06 tundra. I could really use the truck bed for an upcoming move. Or, I could just rent/borrow a trailer, which may be the best solution. We'll see what happens.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
When's moving day? I can bring a truck and trailer.

I didn't know you'd gotten the ST Maxx, I thought you were waiting for the new KOs. How have they been compared to KM2s in terms of road noise and street manners? Have you had them in snow yet? There's not many 255/80r17s out there and those two are on top of my list.

sixstringsteve

Thanks kev. Once the house sells, we will be renting for a few months and using a storage unit as a garage. I could really use a truck for that period of my life, as I'll be hauling bikes and toys back and forth quite a bit during that time.

I absolutely love the st maxxs, even more than my km2s. Street manners are great. Road noise is less than km2s. Snow and ice traction is phenomenal.

I haven't been rock Crawling with them yet, though I expect them to do really well. They are slightly heavier than km2s. They have the same sidewalls as the cooper mud terrains, so they're 3 ply and super beefy. They're like an all terrain on the road and a mild mud terrain off road. I will be running these tires on my rigs for a long time to come.

Last edited:

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
Steve, my truck, 14' trailer, and I are at your disposal. I think you would love a first gen Tundra. I have a little experience with the S/T Maxx tires. I agree they are great. Cooper tires are on a roll right now (no pun intended). I'll probably go with the AT3's only because they're significantly cheaper.

Last edited: