Build Thread Subforum

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixstringsteve

Shane, is there an option to disable replies to a thread? I'm thinking it might be nice for people to archive their builds so people don't have to wade through pages of chit-chat (i am more guilty of adding chit chat to my builds than anyone). I have friends who don't want to read through all 50 pages of my builds, and I'd be happy to create a summary of tech-only.

I can't promise to delete my chit/build threads though ;)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Shane, is there an option to disable replies to a thread? I'm thinking it might be nice for people to archive their builds so people don't have to wade through pages of chit-chat (i am more guilty of adding chit chat to my builds than anyone). I have friends who don't want to read through all 50 pages of my builds, and I'd be happy to create a summary of tech-only.

I can't promise to delete my chit/build threads though ;)

Might be a good way to use the 'blog' system here on RME. I haven't used it but it could be a great way to document everything in a single place without clutter. The only problem I can see is that the blog functionality of the software isn't as obvious as the forum area. Still looking for ways to promote it if we can find a good use for it. Even though the word blog turns some people off, it essentially is an archive... web-log.

A quick way to jump a post over to the blog is to click the "blog this post" button at the bottom of any post.

Caleb

I like the blog idea and the tag idea, I don't think a forum just for builds would be appropriate, that's really what General 4x4 is for. Get too many sub-forums and you end up with a cluttered mess. I like that RME has really been able to keep a small set of sub-forums and only out of real necessity are new sub-forums added. Keeps RME a clean straight forward forum to visit.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I like the blog idea and the tag idea, I don't think a forum just for builds would be appropriate, that's really what General 4x4 is for. Get too many sub-forums and you end up with a cluttered mess. I like that RME has really been able to keep a small set of sub-forums and only out of real necessity are new sub-forums added. Keeps RME a clean straight forward forum to visit.

I am forced to agree. Some of the other sites are hard to figure out with all the extra crap going on. I do like the idea of tagging the build threads to make them easy to find.

sixstringsteve

Might be a good way to use the 'blog' system here on RME. I haven't used it but it could be a great way to document everything in a single place without clutter. The only problem I can see is that the blog functionality of the software isn't as obvious as the forum area. Still looking for ways to promote it if we can find a good use for it. Even though the word blog turns some people off, it essentially is an archive... web-log.

A quick way to jump a post over to the blog is to click the "blog this post" button at the bottom of any post.

Cool, I'm going to try it.

Is there a way to edit your blog posts?

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

the blog thing isn't going to work for me. It's too hard to keep blog posts linked together so they continue where the last one left off. It was worth a shot.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
What are the issues? We can most likely fix any limitations it might have. I'll have to mess with on mine to see as well.

sixstringsteve

I haven't figured out how to make all the blog posts show up together. In other words, you can't just continue from post #1 straight to post #2 without clicking. At least I haven't figured out how to yet. I'd love for it to look similar to a thread, where the newest post picks up where the last one left off.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
well you made it further then me, i dont even see the option to start/create a blog...

It was a permission issue... I'm still learning the system as well. :) Give it a try now.

I also upped the limit of images per blog post as well as the amount of text.

Status
Not open for further replies.