Building a 15,000 lumen flashlight

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
not really sure why...
So a typical 65w halogen car hi beam is around 1700 lumens of light output. This flashlight will be 150w of high efficiency LED, spewing forth 15,000 lumens of white light.

The plan originally was to make an offroad driving light, so I got this ridiculous flashlight that has fifteen Cree XM-L T6 emitters (each emitter is capable of producing up to a rated 1040 max lumens). I was just going to provide the required power and control and use it for the waterproof flashlight head. For now, the heat management issues at 150 watts cause too many problems with running it continuously, so I'm probably going to make it a flashlight.

15creenitefire_zps9b4f5c7e.jpg

Out of the chinese box, this flashlight runs on four 18650 or 26650 lithium cells, which due to the way this light is designed is only enough power to run it at around 15 watts or 1500 lumens (or 10% of what the LEDs are rated for).
More emitters must mean more light, right? a simple sales gimmick as expected. This simply will not do.

IMG_0958_zpsb64cbd78.jpg

The 15 LEDs are arranged in a 5s3p configuration requiring around 17volts @ 9amps for full power. For a power source I'm going to run one or two R/C lipo packs which are 11.1v 3s 2200mAh, and have a continuous discharge rating of 44amps. This will give a runtime of about 5 minutes per pack at full power.
LED's require a constant current power source, not constant voltage like a battery, so I have to design and build a regulated constant current driver which will boost the lower voltage battery and supply the desired 9 amps. The driver works by charging and discharging an inductor 100,000 times per second and adding the discharge voltage spike to the input 11 volts to produce a high DC output voltage than the input. As with all power electronics the tricky part is the control circuitry; in this case a feedback loop needs to regulate the output current in real time and prevent things from exploding. Anyway it's all still in the early prototype stage.

IMG_0955_zps805b9af1.jpg

Here is a beam shot comparison... same exposure on both photos.

IMG_0952_zps39772c99.jpg

Above is a bright flashlight with one of these same emitters runnning at about 4 watts or 500 lumens because of a slightly low battery.

IMG_0951_zpsb609668b.jpg

And the 15 emitter light running at only 100 watts (67% power) and around 10,000 lumens

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Wow :cool:

5 minutes of pure lighted bliss. The mine guys I head out with are into building super lights, both headlamp and flashlights... I'll have to point them this way, thinking your setting a new standard.

Tonkaman

I was fiddling around with flashlight mods for a but but nothing this hardcore, sweet project! Check out candlepower forums for some cool builds if you haven't seen it already

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I don't understand much of anything you just said up there and suspect there's probably some math hidden there somewhere, but holy hell that's bright!

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Subbed, drooling... Neat project with tons of potential. Curious if your power supply will be switchable to provide full power and chopped to half for longer run time? What sort of heat will that LED head produce in 5 minutes?

ozzy702

drooling_homer1171825378.gif I'll be watching this thread closely. A few years back I modded a maglite with a P7 but this is on a completely different level.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Well crap... if everyone's following this now I'll have to finish it.
To be at all useful this thing needs to have more than one output level. I've been thinking about leaving a knob on it that will infinitely adjust the output power, yet be limited to the rated 'full power' when cranked all the way up. I also want a high speed strobe feature because it sounds awesomely annoying. :D

and I figured the runtime on full power will be more like 7 minutes per battery pack, or over 3 hours with both battery packs running at a very bright 2000 lumens.

Rottenbelly

I stink.
So why aren't light bars brighter?

Most of the newer lightbats are made to run up to 32 volts. Wonder how much that would affect light output!!

Glad to see im not the only one rhat uses my rc batteries for lights.
I use a 14.8 volt 6500 mah to run a rigid dually for my mtn bike light.

Last edited:

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
So I was dinking around with this light again. I remade the driver and have it running at like 110% power or around 17,000 lumens. I took it up to Tibble Fork Reservoir the other night and lit up the mountainside across the lake from the parking lot.

WP_20140925_004_zps954183c0.jpg

WP_20140925_002_zps7fbe8ff8.jpg

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Some more pictures....

WP_20140928_002_zps62b11678.jpg

Mounted the LEDs on a big CPU heatsink and added a big fan. It's enough to keep it cool enough to run continuously, I think.

IMG_1173_zpsf88209cd.jpg

No lights...

IMG_1174_zps4f10f1b8.jpg

car's high beams...

IMG_1172_zps21a64b6e.jpg

15k lumens from the flashlight. All photos are the same exposure of course.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
I'm still working on this one, but...

I'm thinking about building an offroad lightbar, or a few, using two (or even more!) of these, in a roughy 3x7x2" package and it will output more light than the 54" rigid industries lightbar that costs $2150, and it's around 18x smaller. This Rigid is probably one of the most powerful led light bars made. But there's no reason to have such a big, gaudy looking, and expensive light for <30k lumens....

2e1t4xe.jpg

Last edited: