building a bicycle trailer

sixstringsteve

My BMX friends are growing, and I need a way to transport up to 6 bikes.

Low cost is the name of the game.

I'm contemplating getting a tiny 4x6 trailer to drag behind my civic. I just need to figure out a way to mount the bikes to the trailer. I need to be able to strap down bikes with 20-26" wheels. As much as I'd love an enclosed trailer right now, it's just not going to happen.

I'm going to check out this little 4x6 trailer tonight:

4x6%252520trailer.jpg

4x6%252520trailer%2525202.jpg

My main concern with this trailer is the lack of suspension. With the bikes weighing as little as they do, I wonder if it's enough to keep the trailer from bouncing around.

Assuming I do go this route, does anyone have any good (aka cheap) ideas of how to attach the bikes (as in bicycles) to the trailer? I'd really rather not have to remove the front wheel if possible, but I won't rule that out.

I'm starting to think that I might be able to run the bikes from left to right, instead of front to back. I could do a little c-channel trough for the front wheel, and some way to secure the back wheel. I'm also ok with the idea of flipping the bikes over and transporting them upside down.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I think you are going to end up light and it will bounce around a lot.. you may want to look at picking up some different springs...
as for mounting the bikes with the tires on I would build something like a PVC bike rack mount that to the front and then Set up a bunch of eye bolts in the floor so you can attach bungee cords through the wheel not in the rack to the base and snug forward holding the tire in the rack..

IMGP8055 (Medium)..JPG

sixstringsteve

Thanks Doss, I like the simplicity of that rack.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe the trailer has springs at all. I'll be pulling it behind my civic FWIW.

Last edited:

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Thanks Doss, I like the simplicity of that rack.

The trailer doesn't have any shocks on it at all, it's just rigid. I'll be pulling it behind my civic FWIW.

I don't know how much you are getting it for and what kind of axle it has under it but if it really has no suspension I wouldn't give them more than $50 for it as long as the frame is steel and it has a actual axle under it then you can pick up some stock leafs from a XJ or something and mount those under it for cheap :).. you want suspension in the end

sixstringsteve

I didn't end up picking it up. I realized my civic had a homemade receiver, not a legit one. So my budget just doubled...

Still not quite sure what to do.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I didn't end up picking it up. I realized my civic had a homemade receiver, not a legit one. So my budget just doubled...

Still not quite sure what to do.

The total weight of the bikes and little trailer is probably less that 500lbs. Jump up and down on your receiver hitch, if it holds up you will be fine.-IMO.

sixstringsteve

The total weight of the bikes and little trailer is probably less that 500lbs. Jump up and down on your receiver hitch, if it holds up you will be fine.-IMO.

yeah, probably, but I don't want to put others' lives in danger in case a bolt broke or something. I'll figure something out.