Building a car hauler trailer?

TEAM FRED

Kansas and Oklahoma both build a lot of trailers.
I've heard radio ads for 16' car haulers for $1500.
IMO it would be hard to build one for that.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm curious how much the metal would cost. In that first site I linked to, the parts are $400... I'd think the steel would probably run around $500? Add wheels & tires and there's a complete trailer.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Sounds like we need another trailer build party.:cool: Make sure your hubs will fit 5x4.5 wheels, so I can give you some wheels and tires.

Badbuggy

rock star
Find a trailer, like the one you like. Measure out the steel, sizes and quantity, Call one of many (or several) of the steel supply places and get a quote. Most sticks of steel come in 20 or 24 foot pieces, so there will be some waste. You may want to build an 18 foot for about the same money. The axles are found in many supply catalogs, (Google). You will save the labor costs, but most of the trailer manufacturers get a deal on steel bought in quanity. I would think you could still save some money if your nights and weekends are free.

Or you can build a trailer like the one you barrowed from me for about $350- 450.

ALF

SURE!?
Be patient one will come up eventually. After becoming frustrated in finding one in the classifieds I posted up here and I'm into mine for right around $1000. The deals are out there!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I still want a longish trailer if you run across one of those in your travels and want to trade down. (just expanding your search parameters a little)

Gooseneck (yeah right, but you never know) or bumper pull.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
I still want a longish trailer if you run across one of those in your travels and want to trade down. (just expanding your search parameters a little)

Gooseneck (yeah right, but you never know) or bumper pull.

I am in the same boat. I have been thinking about selling my 18ft big bubbas to step up to a used gooseneck that will fit two rigs. -Marcus

dude by the time you buy steel and parts to build one youd be better off buying one, I found mine through a friend for 1000 bucks and its not the nicest trailer but it has paid for itself many times over, just start lookin and one will pop up. If I hear of one Ill let you know

Ben

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Don't forget the cost of the deck material. Just to buy the wood to redeck my trailer is going to be about $250. $1650 for a new one with brakes seems like a pretty fair deal.

olywrestle

Duct Tape
Don't forget the cost of the deck material. Just to buy the wood to redeck my trailer is going to be about $250. $1650 for a new one with brakes seems like a pretty fair deal.
Not to hiJack, but what type of wood did you use to redeck the trailer?

And to keep on topic. I kept holding my breath and finally came across one for $1000 last week. Like Ben said, keep your eyes open for the deals.....

Bart

I bought my 26' gooseneck from a place in Texas called Hefty. They build great trialers at the cheapest prices I've found. I went down to Petty Texas to pick it up, but even if I would have paid the $1000 for delivery, it was over $1000 less than any trailer company around here.
http://www.heftyproducts.com/

KToy

me and a friend and goat are all looking at trailers. big bubbas is cutting a deal for 3 buys.

last time i got a group buy we saved about a 1000 dollars between 5 trailers. that was at lone peak trailers.

i think bubbas will cut a bigger discount specially since my friend wants a gooseneck and so does goat.

anyone interested in another group buy since i sold my other trailer and i am in the market again ?????

will to meet at big bubbas on sat. if people are interested

GOAT

Back from the beyond
me and a friend and goat are all looking at trailers. big bubbas is cutting a deal for 3 buys.

last time i got a group buy we saved about a 1000 dollars between 5 trailers. that was at lone peak trailers.

i think bubbas will cut a bigger discount specially since my friend wants a gooseneck and so does goat.

anyone interested in another group buy since i sold my other trailer and i am in the market again ?????

will to meet at big bubbas on sat. if people are interested

Going to BB in Ogden sat between 4-5 pm

jdub

Scrambler
I saw a haulmark style covered trailer being bumper pulled behind a dually with a buggy inside. I've never seen a hotrod style trailer supersized to fit a trail rig. Anyone know what these would cost? What would you need to tow 3 rigs? (what size of truck)

Sorry for the tangent... I'm interested to see what Greg chooses. Big bubba seems to build tough rigs. I'm eying my cousins. Lots of D rings for tie downs.

What would be the advantages with wood vs. metal or open in the middle decks?

I saw a haulmark style covered trailer being bumper pulled behind a dually with a buggy inside. I've never seen a hotrod style trailer supersized to fit a trail rig. Anyone know what these would cost? What would you need to tow 3 rigs? (what size of truck)

Sorry for the tangent... I'm interested to see what Greg chooses. Big bubba seems to build tough rigs. I'm eying my cousins. Lots of D rings for tie downs.

I looked at one, a 24 foot bumper pull brand new and extra height added I could get it for 9500, or 10k with some cool add-ons. It was a very nice trailer but I couldnt justify it

Ben

Caleb

Wood vs. Metal - Metal will last longer but weigh more and have you ever laid on a smoking hot steel decked trailer to work on your rig? :eek: The wood will absorb your oil spills when (obviously) the steel wont. As for open deck, the two main advantages are weight and your neighbors won't ask to borrow your trailer to haul their junk to the dump :p