building a new frame?

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
So for some reason yesterday I got the idea of building a new frame for my F-250 out of some rectangular steel. My fist concern is overall strength... could this be built to be as strong if not stronger than the stock frame? Also there would have to be some angles cut and welded so would the welds hold up?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
onetuff76 said:
So for some reason yesterday I got the idea of building a new frame for my F-250 out of some rectangular steel. My fist concern is overall strength... could this be built to be as strong if not stronger than the stock frame? Also there would have to be some angles cut and welded so would the welds hold up?
Why, is it bent?

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
yeah the front end was bent up from the guard rail incident, it was put on a rack and bent straight, but there is still a bit of a kink on the upper and lower parts of the frame. Plus I want to build some new shackle hangers and what not.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
onetuff76 said:
yeah the front end was bent up from the guard rail incident, it was put on a rack and bent straight, but there is still a bit of a kink on the upper and lower parts of the frame. Plus I want to build some new shackle hangers and what not.
I don't see the need to build a new frame, as Meat said, box it.

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
I'd also like something new that I can have powder coated or rhino lined, that won't rust or anything. Again this is just an idea and I"m considering the strength issues of a fully built frame.

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
So who wants to answer my questions about hte strength issues?

and James you can watch from under the hood of your welding mask with an arc welder in your hand :D:D

James K

NO, I'm always like this
it could be built as strong or stronger it will all depend on materials used and design.

you could do it all out of round tube or do it out of 2x5x3/16 wall box tube.

have you tried looking for info on maybe some of the mud bogger sites, those guys build stuff to handle BB with blowers and nos with rockwells and 52" tires.

I don't arc weld :p

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Your question reminded me of two threads I have seen recently, check both of these out:

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1316

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334805

Also don't go overboard on how heavy your frame will be. Ford paid a lot of engineers to figure out that your C channel frame made from whatever guage it was would be strong, and last for many years. If you go thicker you will be above their specs, or if you box the frame you will be over their specs. If you do both you are looking at some serious overkill. I would concider a similar guage, and a box construction.

Also take my advice for what it is worth, in my lifetime I have made a total of zero frames, this is just from info I have gethered because I have been thinking of doing something similar.

Last edited:

anvil

Boxing a frame is usually more work than starting from scratch and building a new one. 2" x 5" x .125 or 2" x 6" x.125 would be stronger than stock if the welds are good and it's designed right. Welding the angles isn't a problem. If you are worried about it grind the welds flat and scab some plates on the sides of the angles. Plan it all out really good then go for it.