Building a tow rig

rock4fun

Ok so I had to sell my power stroke to pay off a couple bills and i need to replace it with something. I am thinking about buying an old 1979 4-door 3/4 ton chevy 4x4 and a 1989 dodge 1 ton 4x4 with the cummins in it. Then take all the dive train out of the dodge and putting it in the old chev I know it would be alot of work but right now I could get both trucks for the amount of money I have to spend. And if I need to sit on the dodge for awhile untill I save up some more funds to do the swap it would be ok because the old chevy runs and drives good. So dose any buddy have any thoughts or comments about doing this.

rock4fun

I cant drive the old dodge as it is only a regular cab and will not fit my family. Besides pulling the crawler around it also has to haul my hole family around and pull my camp trailer. So as cool as I think it would be to have an old dodge it would have to be at least an extra cab .

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Other than the frames cracking on the early Chevs (usually only when "used" after wheeling) they are AWESOME trucks. A Cummins with an intercooler would be a NICE swap into one. Make it a stick shift and trade me for my PowerJoke.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Too bad you need a four door http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=&nid=443&tab=list/view&ad=1073545 a two stroke would be fun!

There are a few CC GM's and Fords around here with 5.9 Cummins in them--They make me jealous :D

Does the Dodge have a 5 speed? If not it will have the TF727 without an overdrive and most 1 ton GM's of that vintage had 4.10's, and that would not be a good combo for a tow rig... If it has the Getrag your set :D

While the engine is out I'd swap in a new head gasket. The non ic trucks had a flimsy one that doesn't like any form of horse power increase :-\ Just a thought.

Oh and these guy's (www.avalancheengineering.com) have your crossmember if you don't like to fab :)

Andrew

Last edited:

cheepin

DO a search on www.coloradok5.com There was a build on there doing the Cummins swap.There is alot of body work to be done in the interior.Also the engine crossmember must be changed.I believe Avalanche Engineering sell a replacement for this.Not a easy swap.