Jeep Building the RockyMountainExtreme.com Jeep Wrangler

Bart

Looks awesome Greg. You said the straps on the feul cell are built in? Does that mean you don't need external straps on it? I've never seen one last without external straps.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Well, this is such a cool post that you kept me captivated for more than 1.5 hours. Lots of good infor in here. That thing looks awesome!! Great job. Are you going to the U4WDA Fall run on Nov 3 in Price UT? I, and I'm sure others, would love to see it there.

Thanks for the fun read...I'm off to bed.

Thanks! I doubt I'll be ready by the beginning of Nov, but it would be nice. I'm doing my best!

Looks awesome Greg. You said the straps on the feul cell are built in? Does that mean you don't need external straps on it? I've never seen one last without external straps.

Yeah, Ben does amazing work. The tabs are built into the bottom plate of the fuel cell. I have the option of running straps, which I'm going to do as a precaution.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I'm not sure if I can expect these to settle after a few trips out. I may pick up some coils w/ less lift just to play with.

Most likely, but every coil manufacture is different. Rubicon Express' will settle about an 1" - but that also depends on what you have on your rig for weight, too. So you might be ok after you get 'em settled in.

Whats weird is I haven't seen my coil overs settle in, and with the type of trails I've been on, they should have settled in long time ago. So coil overs don't settle? :confused: But coil springs do? :confused::confused:

gripguru

Nate Davidson
Could you please send a pic of the completed upper buckets for the coil springs?
I am really interested to see the final setup.

The rear is sitting on the ground again! After pulling the axle back out for paint, I finally got it bolted back under the rig. Along with the axle, I was able to comp cut the rear & started bolting on the Blue Torch Fab comp corners. Once the sheetmetal was out of the way, I was able to bolt the 40's onto the rear axle... :cool:

Greg

Admin
Worked on the tie rod today, got the run-around trying to get the materials from the local steel supply place. Eventually I got the parts to make it work.

The main piece is 1.5", 5/16th thick. :eek: I sleeved it with 1.75" x .120 wall, just to be safe. I think that will be thick enough! After verifying the length, I welded in one threaded insert. Then I drilled some holes out of the 1.75" tube for plug welds, installed the sleeve, welded in the other insert & finished the welding.

SANY0004+_Medium__003.JPG

SANY0005+_Medium__002.JPG

SANY0006+_Medium__004.JPG

And the finished product! Needs paint, but the tires both turn at the same time!

SANY0011+_Medium__001.JPG

Here's how the TJ looked at the end of this evening. I used ratchet straps to pull the rear down about 2", it looks much better! That's the rear ride height I'm going for. The front will drop too, once the rest of the drivetrain is in.

SANY0012+_Medium__001.JPG

Greg

Admin
Could you please send a pic of the completed upper buckets for the coil springs?
I am really interested to see the final setup.

Here's this one that was posted eairler, it's a crappy pic but it's how the upper coil bucket looked right before paint.

SANY0029+_Medium_.JPG

I took these tonight for ya, with the tires in place I can't get a direct shot. (The straps in the background are there to pull the rear end down.)

SANY0001+_Medium_+_2_.JPG

SANY0002+_Medium_+_2_.JPG

RockChucker

hey greg, what amount of lift are your springs? i have some supposedly 2 inch springs that are actually one inch springs that i just took off. i don't know if they would work for the rear end or not...

GOAT

Back from the beyond
hey greg, what amount of lift are your springs? i have some supposedly 2 inch springs that are actually one inch springs that i just took off. i don't know if they would work for the rear end or not...

If Greg doesn't want them, I may be very interested. What brand?

Sorry for the hijack;)

RockChucker

i'm not sure what they are. they were on my jeep when i bought it, but i think they are procomp. they are gray like a procomp spring. i'll let you know if greg doesn't want them.

Greg

Admin

The springs I have are 3", right now it looks like I need a 2" drop. I'd like to try them, sounds like they'd be closer to what I need. I'll be in UT in a few days & can pick 'em up then.

If Greg doesn't want them, I may be very interested. What brand?

Sorry for the hijack;)

No worries, if they don't work for me, I'll pass them on to you. ;)

GOAT

Back from the beyond
The springs I have are 3", right now it looks like I need a 2" drop. I'd like to try them, sounds like they'd be closer to what I need. I'll be in UT in a few days & can pick 'em up then.

No worries, if they don't work for me, I'll pass them on to you. ;)

Greg
I'll take the front springs off your hands if you're just using the rears. IMHO, PC makes a good spring:cool:

Greg

Admin
The 5.3, TH350 & Atlas are in! It was kinda hard getting everything lined up on my own, but I finally got the motor mounts bolted up. I did come across a few issues; the valve cover is hitting the firewall (I think I'll let it self-clearance) and there's no way I'll be able to have A/C, :-\ . The upper control arm mount on the axle is less than 2" away from the A/C pump. I don't need A/C, but thought it would be nice to have on those hot days. :sick:

The front suspension dropped about 2" once all the weight of the drivetrain was dropped in. Keep in mind, the rear suspension is compressed 2" still. It looks about level, I'll be able to tell more once I set the grill & hood in place. Here's some pics from today.

SANY0001+_Medium__003.JPG

SANY0004+_Medium__004.JPG

SANY0005+_Medium__003.JPG