Building up 93 ZJ

1BadZJ

UNI-Bomber
I am building up a 93 ZJ. I have already built the motor up and will putting the Rock Krawler 7 inch long arm kit on. My question is, has anyone seen or built frame-stiffening brackets? So I can build my own or find some for a good price. I am also wondering if any one has found or done any fender modifications to allow for bigger tires and looking for custom bumpers to? Any suggestions or pictures would be grateful.

Last edited:

TELFORD

its a work in progress
as far as fenders go, you can modify xj Bushwackers to fit, I could fit a 35" with the Re 4.5 kit no problem. I have seen severel zj builds with many diffirent types of frame structures. I would see what Cody has to offer, and search on Pirate, and NAGCA. JU also has some threads that could help.

Attachments

• xj fenders 1.JPG
    xj fenders 1.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 25

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Don't buy the RK kit :ugh:
There are better options than RK.

http://mallcrawlin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1366&start=0

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/zj/zjlongarm.html

http://www.claytonoffroad.com/ (go to suspensions, jeep, ZJ)

i've driven all three suspensions in various ZJ/WJ's. Kevins rides the best and does great offroad. Claytons is real close, and is the most trail tested. RK has yet to figure it out--but I think they are on their 4th or 5th redesign.

At any rate, there are lots of ways to fit bigger tires, just depends on what size of tire, what kind of wheelin, etc. etc. I fit 37's at around 5", pretty sure I could fit a little bigger. If you plan on going to 35's or bigger, then plan on lots of other drivetrain mods (new axles, t-case etc.)

HTH. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cody

1BadZJ

UNI-Bomber
Thanks

telford- Now that you have those bushwackers you don't rub at all? Do you have them on the rear and if so how did you get them to fit?

Copy- I read the links you gave me thanks. Why don't you really like the Rock Krawler lift? The Gen II lifts by Rock Krawler have a lot of flex and I am getting a great deal on one. Before you buggied you ZJ did you do any frame stiffing? I am hoping to put 35 to 37 inch tires. I want the biggest tire I can get with out really going over 7-8 inch lift. I like what you have done to your ZJ and may someday do the same but right now it is still in one peice. I am just starting the build up and trying to raise the money to do it right, so your opinion and input is helpfull. I have seen your ZJ in the magaziens before.

Thanks
Paul

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Well, if you're getting a good deal on the RK kit then thats cool. I have just seen quite a few problems with them and most people who have seen them or run them aren't particularly happy--or at least I should say the people that have had them and have wheeled them hard are not happy. Their were two guys last year that swore up and down about how great RK was, then after about 6 months of that, they started breaking EVERYTHING on the kit--joints, arms, brackets etc. Neither of them stll run the RK kit (well, they run the coils still I'm sure) anymore because of their experience.

as for tires, you can run 37's at 7" with some good trimming, 35's would fit easily. There is a kid in provo that has 37" MTR's on about 5.5" lift with a full bodied ZJ--but he did a lot of custom work on it and has aftermarket axles which help is cause (he was in petersen's not too long ago with a gray/black flamed ZJ). All that being said, your stock axles will not hold up to either tire size--especially if you start wheelin it and especially especially if you lock the axles.

Cody

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I think all v8 zj's had 3.73s. You can find higher (lower numerically) gears in some 4.0's, but I think as long as you have the tow package you have the 3.73's for sure regardless of motor.

Cody

rockkrawler

who were the guys and what did they break

Cody said:
Well, if you're getting a good deal on the RK kit then thats cool. I have just seen quite a few problems with them and most people who have seen them or run them aren't particularly happy--or at least I should say the people that have had them and have wheeled them hard are not happy. Their were two guys last year that swore up and down about how great RK was, then after about 6 months of that, they started breaking EVERYTHING on the kit--joints, arms, brackets etc. Neither of them stll run the RK kit (well, they run the coils still I'm sure) anymore because of their experience.

as for tires, you can run 37's at 7" with some good trimming, 35's would fit easily. There is a kid in provo that has 37" MTR's on about 5.5" lift with a full bodied ZJ--but he did a lot of custom work on it and has aftermarket axles which help is cause (he was in petersen's not too long ago with a gray/black flamed ZJ). All that being said, your stock axles will not hold up to either tire size--especially if you start wheelin it and especially especially if you lock the axles.

Cody

I think that rk is on there Gen II which stands for 2nd redesign. I would like to know what broke on your buddies lift???

as for the arms rk has a lifetime warranty on the arms??? As for the brackets How ??? heims well enough said

Scott

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
rockkrawler said:
I think that rk is on there Gen II which stands for 2nd redesign. I would like to know what broke on your buddies lift???

as for the arms rk has a lifetime warranty on the arms??? As for the brackets How ??? heims well enough said

Scott

i'll dig up the threads where he started breaking things.

Lifetime warrenty's are sweet. I'll run the RK suspension if you'll bring me a broken control arm and change it for me while i'm in the middle of the rubicon.

Hey, I hope the new RK stuff is sweet. competition breeds innovation and keeps people honest.

Cody

Ken

Truth be told that you need to gusset up the brackets on the RK kit, but come now cody, is there anyone that will bring you a broken control arm if you break it and change it for you on the trail?

rockkrawler

ken

Ken said:
Truth be told that you need to gusset up the brackets on the RK kit, but come now cody, is there anyone that will bring you a broken control arm if you break it and change it for you on the trail?

Which brackets need to be fixed????

the frame brackets???

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Ken said:

No, exactly. I'd rather have a kit that I know won't break--even if it costs me a couple hundred more. If a lifetime warrenty saves me 200 bucks on a new arm---I'd rather pay the 200 bucks not to break it in the first place and have to drag my junk out of a trail and spend the time to fix it.

For me, to take time off work, arrange to meet people, drive all the way to moab only to break something that prevents me from doing what I came to do, that sucks. Screw a warrenty, I don't want to break.

BTW, Von found me the parts and fixed my steering last year at EJS ;) How's that for service lol

Cody

Ken

Agreed. I would rather see some part on the rig break other than a part of the lift. It's good to have friends to come to the rescue when you find yourself in a bind.

Ken

rockkrawler said:
Which brackets need to be fixed????

the frame brackets???
Come come now....Is this scotty? You my man should know before anyone else the problems that could develop with the products you sell. Have you gotten that research and development team down there at Creasys off road delivering food or something???? LOL. Brother man the axle bracket that the pinion arm welds to tends to snap in half after several trips out. I haven't had problems with the joints and everything else has stood up to the test for me, but I really didn't like that bracket snapping on me after taking a girl up corner canyon one night for a first date. I didn't even get off the main trail, so the thing must have slowly weakened over time. RK needs to design a solid weld point to those front axles.

Ken

Well I just visited the site and it looks like they came out with a longer arm to hold that pinion into place. I got hosed with getting the Gen one short arm. Hey scott is there any way you can get some pics of those generation 2 xj kits and how they setup on a dana 30?

95jeepgrndchke

Is this the first time I have seen this argument about ZJ lifts? And I somewhat remember "rockkrawler" going on for about three pages in another topic too, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents. RK is coming around ( I havent even looked at gen 2 becuase of all the bad things i heard about gen 1) Kevin has been in the ZJ game for a long time and knows them like the back of his hand. Clayton gets good reviews becuase his stuff runs good in comps. To sum it up IMO you might save a couple hundred on your RK lift but isnt this a world where you get what you pay for? Even with your hook-up wiil it compensate for your time working out the problems? If you still are curious I can dig up some threads on another forum so just PM me. And BTW Cody I Remember you and Von scouting for parts early one morning at my camp ;) , is that the time you cought your jeep on fire?

rockkrawler

the problems is the gen I and welding.

Ken said:
Come come now....Is this scotty? You my man should know before anyone else the problems that could develop with the products you sell. Have you gotten that research and development team down there at Creasys off road delivering food or something???? LOL. Brother man the axle bracket that the pinion arm welds to tends to snap in half after several trips out. I haven't had problems with the joints and everything else has stood up to the test for me, but I really didn't like that bracket snapping on me after taking a girl up corner canyon one night for a first date. I didn't even get off the main trail, so the thing must have slowly weakened over time. RK needs to design a solid weld point to those front axles.

The problem with the gen one is that the barcket weld would break the bracket would go anywhere it can. Welds which of the installer not RK and would cause the bracket to give. The bracket does not give if welded correctly. As for the bad luck of losinfg the bracket with the chick. OUCH!!! as for the fix to the problem Gen I has changed to a GEN II and the bracket you have problems with is gone WOOSAA!!! As for me I run and am finally changung out the torque arm and never broke off the brackt or had any give in it.

I would invite any one to come see the new radius arm and see what GEN II is.

scott

1BadZJ

UNI-Bomber
Rock Krawler

Have you guys seen the new design of the Rock Krawler 7" lift, I think they call it the X factor. They have redesigned how the 4 link connects and works in the rear. I also hear that they are coming out with new much stronger joints for the control arms. I was just wondering if any one has seen the set up and joints and what they think?