Bump Stops - How extended should I get?

plaidfro

While under the YJ the other night I noticed that I only have a bump stop on one side of the rear... the other one was either removed or the mount rusted and it fell off.

You can see in this pic the bump stop that is on and the bolt tops of the spring mounting plate to get an idea of the distance between them.

IMG_3864.jpg

Questions are: 1. as you can see the spring would be quite negatively arched to even make contact with the current bump stop, so is it even going to help? 2. Would I just buy an 'extended' bump stop for a YJ or do I look into a specific height for a bumpstop.

Thoughts?

Too Far

parts is parts
I don't think that the current bump stop is serving any real purpose. If you need to go negative on the springs to get to them. The factory bumps are not that great, they are so hard that they hit pretty hard. I would look into the polyurethane type that energy suspensions sells. I have used the 99104 before and was happy with them. I would mount them so that they contact the bump pad before the spring goes totally flat.
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/Energy-Suspension-Universal-Bump-Stops-Shock-Eyes.asp