Bumper towing with a Wagoneer

Green-Tonka-CJ5

BEE-DUHB
This could turn ugly but here goes.
I have a cj5 lifted on 35"s set up for bumper pulling. Also acquired a wagoneer in pretty good shape and would like to set it up as my first tow rig. Money is tight with school so just trying this option out for now. In an effort to make the wagoneer more reliable and tow friendly, i have replaced tires, brakes, had tuning done on the carb/ motor and feel confident in its ride now. But i know its a midsize suv. I have already bumper pulled around town and it seems do-able. Going to replace shocks and steering stabilizer before i attempt freeway though.
What are your thoughts about my set up? Bad idea? Passable? Thanks!

Attachments

• bigger.jpg
    bigger.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 15

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
It'll do fine, just keep a couple things in mind:

No brakes, so stay back!

Keep your tow bar level.

Remember, you CAN NOT back up!

I towed one for years, they're not a big deal.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I kind of like it. I think if you're moderate with your speed and realize you're towing something that doesn't have brakes you'll be OK.

(you really "need" a quad turbo, deizel with stacks to tow anything more than a snowmobile trailer)

Green-Tonka-CJ5

BEE-DUHB
Thanks for the pointers! I realize accelerating and braking will be my big hindrances, but if i plan ahead I should come out on top. That seems to be the mindset i run into a lot is diesel is a must quad cab etc etc.... but i am towing one of the smaller jeep cjs ever made. Another thought i had, is there usually an optional towing insurance you can opt for when bumper pulling? Or just have insurance on both vehicles and i will be covered?

Also sourcing a carb to convert the waggy to a 4 barrel set up. Trying to up the power a bit. Any suggestions of one that would be a very straightforward swap? Already have a intake manifold for the swap. But I'm very new to Carburetors. Thanks!

Toad

Another thought i had, is there usually an optional towing insurance you can opt for when bumper pulling? Or just have insurance on both vehicles and i will be covered?

I would think that you should be ok. Trailer liability is covered by the towing vehicle. I would verify with your insurance just to be sure. It would suck to find out the hard way.