Bushwacker Fender Flares 98 Cherokee Classic

zacktheproducer

Hey Everyone,

I'm fairly new to off-roading and recently purchased my first Jeep. The fender flares were not on it, and in order to pass inspection here in Utah... of course... you have to have fender flares to cover the tire.

I bought some nice Bushwacker flares (Part No. BUS-10911-07 ) to have a local body shop put on. I bought them off of eBay and the seller assured me they were compatible with my specific Jeep model.

When I took them to the body shop to get put on, the guy working there thought they may have been for the wrong model. He said they didn't conform as they should have to the rest of the body.

I'm wondering if anyone else out there has a 98 XJ who's experienced this? The Jeep is lifted, but other than that pretty much everything is still stock. Are there modifications you've had to make in order for the Bushwacker flares to fit? Anyone with experience with these flares I would love to hear from.

Thanks!!

Zack

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
Hey Everyone,

I'm fairly new to off-roading and recently purchased my first Jeep. The fender flares were not on it, and in order to pass inspection here in Utah... of course... you have to have fender flares to cover the tire.

I bought some nice Bushwacker flares (Part No. BUS-10911-07 ) to have a local body shop put on. I bought them off of eBay and the seller assured me they were compatible with my specific Jeep model.

When I took them to the body shop to get put on, the guy working there thought they may have been for the wrong model. He said they didn't conform as they should have to the rest of the body.

I'm wondering if anyone else out there has a 98 XJ who's experienced this? The Jeep is lifted, but other than that pretty much everything is still stock. Are there modifications you've had to make in order for the Bushwacker flares to fit? Anyone with experience with these flares I would love to hear from.

Thanks!!

Zack

Uh ya they dont make them for the 97+ XJ, only for the 84-96 body style. Only way there going on is through injinuity.

search here www.naxja.org they'll have a few write ups to show you how to do it.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I had bushwackers on my 98 cherokee and they went on fine. Did they come with instructions? You do have to do some sheet metal trimming but that is with all cherokees. It gives you more clearance for larger tires. The bodies of the cherokee did not change that much to make a difference in the install. I would search on line for some install instructions if they did not come with any. Here is a suggested site. rocky-road.com then search cherokee, then misc goodies, then find the bushwackers open that scroll down and they have a pdf with pictures on how to and where to trim. Hope this helps. Good luck Kevin

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Uh ya they dont make them for the 97+ XJ, only for the 84-96 body style. Only way there going on is through injinuity.

search here www.naxja.org they'll have a few write ups to show you how to do it.

What are you talking about? The only issues is the body molding, the bumper caps, and you have to make sure not to hit the washer bolt under the fender when you drill the holes for the bolts. Then you just use shorter bolts were the bolt is.

Depending on the ones you bought that is. If they are the Bushwacker Pocket Flares. You will have to trim the fenders to make them fit.

This is a very good write up on how to install them. This is for a pre-97 but as mentioned the bumper caps and the washer bolt are the only real difference.

zacktheproducer

What are you talking about? The only issues is the body molding, the bumper caps, and you have to make sure not to hit the washer bolt under the fender when you drill the holes for the bolts. Then you just use shorter bolts were the bolt is.

Depending on the ones you bought that is. If they are the Bushwacker Pocket Flares. You will have to trim the fenders to make them fit.

This is a very good write up on how to install them. This is for a pre-97 but as mentioned the bumper caps and the washer bolt are the only real difference.

You're right, the bumper caps were the things that really threw us off.

5DY08TZZ-&-5DY09TZZ-Front-.jpg

Are there any particular aftermarket caps that are shorter?

Thanks for all of your responses