but... Google Earth is FREE!! heh

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Guess this version will cost Davis County residents like a buck each or something. Enjoy. :D

FARMINGTON, Utah (AP) -- The Davis County Commission's Christmas gift to its search and rescue squad is a tool to increase public safety.

The Ogden Standard-Examiner says the commission has approved a two-year $132,000 contract for aerial photography of area mountainsides that will enhance rescue services.

The 3-D pictometry technology is the same type of data used by the county assessor's office to evaluate land values for tax purposes.

County sheriff's Lt. Brad Wilcox says the pictometry service takes a picture from several different angles. The angles are brought together to create a three-dimensional model, giving rescuers a better idea of where the search is going.

County Clerk/Auditor Steve Rawlings says the contract will be paid for with an assessment and collection levy.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Very interesting concept. I'd assume this photography is done not from space but from a high elevation airplane? I can understand the cost of the equipment given the resources required to pull something like this off but is the cost worth it? Lots of variables...

Caleb

Very interesting concept. I'd assume this photography is done not from space but from a high elevation airplane? I can understand the cost of the equipment given the resources required to pull something like this off but is the cost worth it? Lots of variables...
Lots of the imagery on Google Earth is taken from planes. However, I'm sure these images will be much better resolution than Google Earth.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Lots of the imagery on Google Earth is taken from planes. However, I'm sure these images will be much better resolution than Google Earth.

Interesting, I assumed they were all satellite imagery, turns out they use satellites, planes, hot air balloons, model airplanes, and kites. :eek:

Caleb

Interesting, I assumed they were all satellite imagery, turns out they use satellites, planes, hot air balloons, model airplanes, and kites. :eek:
Yep, and IIRC, "Google" doesn't take any of the photos. They have contracts with other firms that do these type of photos that allows Google to use them. This is also why some shots will be outdated for many years, if these firms have no reason to take an aerial shot of that area, it won't get updated.

my4thjeep

From my personal first hand experience...
Its a waste of money. Google maps is good enough usually in most incidents.

All police and fire agencies in Salt Lake County have access to this already and its free (Courtesy of Salt Lake County Assessors Office). The tax man has made so much off the software that its provided free of charge to all Government entities in SLCO. We will just mention that if you added on to your house in the back or even added a small deck this software will measure it accurate to the inch and your tax bill will go up. Its big brother on steroids.

Its from a company called Pictometry. (http://www.pictometry.com) The area is photographed 2 times a year (Early Winter/ Early Spring when leaves are off trees etc). Its all areal photography but at 3 different altitudes with a very powerful digital camera. The photos are extremely accurate and have scary detail. The main difference between Pictometry and Google Maps. There are no details removed. The data/photos are accurately matched with GIS data. The photos are updated twice a year.

Caleb

From my personal first hand experience...
Its a waste of money. Google maps is good enough usually in most incidents.

All police and fire agencies in Salt Lake County have access to this already and its free (Courtesy of Salt Lake County Assessors Office). The tax man has made so much off the software that its provided free of charge to all Government entities in SLCO. We will just mention that if you added on to your house in the back or even added a small deck this software will measure it accurate to the inch and your tax bill will go up. Its big brother on steroids.

Its from a company called Pictometry. (http://www.pictometry.com) The area is photographed 2 times a year (Early Winter/ Early Spring when leaves are off trees etc). Its all areal photography but at 3 different altitudes with a very powerful digital camera. The photos are extremely accurate and have scary detail. The main difference between Pictometry and Google Maps. There are no details removed. The data/photos are accurately matched with GIS data. The photos are updated twice a year.
That's only partially true. My dad has had a very large addition on his house for ~5-6 years and his tax bill has never gone up. Not saying the capability is not there, but it's not used like you claim it is.

Also, I can promise you pictures are not updated twice a year. I've been in my home for almost 4 years now and just barely did my lot show up on any maps. It had been just a field, so the image was ATLEAST 5 years old, probably closer to 7-8 years old.

my4thjeep

That's only partially true. My dad has had a very large addition on his house for ~5-6 years and his tax bill has never gone up. Not saying the capability is not there, but it's not used like you claim it is.

Also, I can promise you pictures are not updated twice a year. I've been in my home for almost 4 years now and just barely did my lot show up on any maps. It had been just a field, so the image was ATLEAST 5 years old, probably closer to 7-8 years old.

I promise you they are using it to bill more for property tax and to check fees and permits. This is how it is funded. My agency pays nothing for the software or the data updates. You just haven't been caught yet.

I travel to the County Assessors Offices twice a year where I (Not some lacky not some one I "know". but me.) hand them a 1 TB portable drive. I pick it up a few days later with latest flyover. The files are approximately 700 GBs for SLCO.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
That is messed up. Maybe I need a tinfoil hat for my entire property. :spork: Big brother is watching me

The google earth date on my house shows June 18,2010 so parts of the valley were updated recently. The photos in google maps are older but are within a few years of being current