Butterfield 2010

Caleb

Since it's privately owned, it usually opens late and closes early. I wouldn't plan on it being open till atleast June. Granted, from the Tooele side, you can get to the very top, just not back down the SL side.

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It wasn't opened as of 11:00 pm last night from the SLC side. The opening is wide that you can walk thru and I wonder if it's legal to ride my motorcycle up there.

Caleb

I've heard it doesn't open till Memorial day. If anyone finds it's open, let the rest know. Thanks.
I actually found something online that says Butterfields is open due to it being an RS2477 route, and the road remains open as long as it's passable. So, that says there is no set date for it to open or close, just so long as it's passable. I'm not sure it will be passable in the next two weeks due to the late snow storms we've had.

I'm curious why everyone wants to know when this Canyon will be open? There's absolutely no legal wheeling up that canyon and it's paved to the top. I do admit it's nice to ride my motorcycle up to the top since it's nice a close, but I can't see any enjoyment in driving a Jeep/(name you choice of rig) up it. :confused:

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I actually found something online that says Butterfields is open due to it being an RS2477 route, and the road remains open as long as it's passable. So, that says there is no set date for it to open or close, just so long as it's passable. I'm not sure it will be passable in the next two weeks due to the late snow storms we've had.

I'm curious why everyone wants to know when this Canyon will be open? There's absolutely no legal wheeling up that canyon and it's paved to the top. I do admit it's nice to ride my motorcycle up to the top since it's nice a close, but I can't see any enjoyment in driving a Jeep/(name you choice of rig) up it. :confused:

Well that's why I wanted to know if it is legal to take my motorcycle thru the little "walk through" gate so I could cruise up to the top before I had to worry about people running me off the road. So does anyone know if it is legal to ride my motorcycle up before the main gate is open. I'm thinking yes because it looks like they made the walk gate big enough for four wheelers, snowmobiles, etc. I like the canyon because of the overlook to the mine and a shortcut to the Jacob City area.

Medsker

Caleb

Well that's why I wanted to know if it is legal to take my motorcycle thru the little "walk through" gate so I could cruise up to the top before I had to worry about people running me off the road. So does anyone know if it is legal to ride my motorcycle up before the main gate is open. I'm thinking yes because it looks like they made the walk gate big enough for four wheelers, snowmobiles, etc. I like the canyon because of the overlook to the mine and a shortcut to the Jacob City area.

Medsker
I know there are tons of fourwheelers and motorcyclers up there and it's not posted otherwise. Like you said, the gate is easily large enough to allow more than foot traffic through. I don't think there would be a problem since it is all paved, it's not like there will be any damage. However, just because I think that doesn't mean it's legal :p

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
If you go around the admittedly porous "gate" (or big cement blocks on the Tooele side), you are going to get it from the sheriffs if they catch you. I don't know anything about that hahahah ...
as far as why people keep asking, it's a good little road, plenty of turnoffs (many are blocked off now, probably Kennecott property), and it is a nice alternative route into, or out of, Tooele. Plus, the Kennecott Overlook! woot.

Personally, I think they really screwed up when they paved the Butterfield side: the gravel taht washes down is like marbles on top of the pavement, the erosion is worse because the water picks up speed, and it cost a lot of money. :D I've seen some nice gullies getting started that were never an issue when it was unpaved. :mad:

Caleb

is there even run up in butterfield canyon to do
There's nothing legal off the main road on either side. The Tooele side has some camping but the Salt Lake side doesn't even have that. Any of the turn offs that there are private property. My buddy did talk to his friend that is a Sheriff in Herriman (the ones that would repsond to anything up the Salt Lake side, and he said as long as it's passable, they don't care that you're up there.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
That's good to know. That does not hold true on the Tooele side.. :rofl:

Also good to know about access on the SL Valley side. :( The Tooele side has numerous camping sites and a short but fun mt. bike trail with a hellacious corkscrew in it.. and lots of cows. :D

Paco182

I'm looking forward to it opening to build a bonfire on the overlook.