Buying a bender.. Which die??

kb7sei

I'm looking at a JD2 or Pro-Tools bender setup. If I only get 1 die, what size should I go for? The big use is a cage and flatbed, but I want to do some smaller stuff as well. Will 1.5x.120 tube get the job done, or do I need 1.75 or 1 5/8? Everything will be for my Toy pickup.

Also, if anyone has purchased tube lately, how do the sizes compare in price?

If any local vendors sell this stuff, I'd be interested in hearing from you as well.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Man it's a tough choice between 1.5 and 1.75. For a Toy I'd prolly get a 1.75 die. Be sure to get a 180 degree die, and the tightest radius available.

Caleb

yep, if you're only going to get one die I would say a 1.75" is the most verstile die. Its not too big but its also not too small. I also agree with getting the tightest radius available, makes for a tighter/cleaner install.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'd get a 1.5", for sure.

I have 2 dies, a 2" and 1 5/8" and I think the 1 5/8" to 1.5" tube looks great on a Toy. I don't know if you can really see the tube size in the pic, but here's the 1 5/8" on my old truck.

frontfullreduced3cm.jpg

There is a little 1 1/4" on the bumper and 3/4" for the windshield bar, so don't let those confuse you. ;)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
BTW... I don't know if you're intrested, but I was thinking of buying a 1.5" and selling my 1 5/8" die. Not a real reason except I'll be building a interior cage for my 4Runner soon and could use a smaller size tube for more space.

The benefit to a 1 5/8" die is that you can bend 1.5" pipe, since it's 1 5/8" OD. If you were building sliders and wanted to use cheaper/thicker material a 1 5/8" die is ideal. My die is in great shape, no gouges in it.

If you are intrested, let me know.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Greg said:
BTW... I don't know if you're intrested, but I was thinking of buying a 1.5" and selling my 1 5/8" die. Not a real reason except I'll be building a interior cage for my 4Runner soon and could use a smaller size tube for more space.

The benefit to a 1 5/8" die is that you can bend 1.5" pipe, since it's 1 5/8" OD. If you were building sliders and wanted to use cheaper/thicker material a 1 5/8" die is ideal. My die is in great shape, no gouges in it.

If you are intrested, let me know.

I have been thinking about 1 5/8", whatcha want for it?
I really want the 2", yawannaselit??
;)

James K

NO, I'm always like this
when I bought mine I got the 2", 1.5" and a 1". but for what you want just get the 1.75 with the tightest radius.

oh yeah, just got a .75" with a 2.25 radius, its cool :D

kb7sei

Thanks for all the input guys. Anyone have any idea on tube pricing or sources? I'd like to have some idea what I'm looking at there as well.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
kb7sei said:
Thanks for all the input guys. Anyone have any idea on tube pricing or sources? I'd like to have some idea what I'm looking at there as well.

You can go through Marmon, but you have to have an account to purchase. I usually buy mine through RL, maybe give them a call . I think they get it a place called EJM?, sounds like they are easier to work with.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
kb7sei said:

just paid.....

1.99 for 1.5" x.120 hrew

2.20 for 1.75" x .120 hrew

0.57 for .75" x .065 hrew

those are per foot prices from Marmon Keystone.