Buying a car out of state and driving it back....licensing?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
So, say I bought a vehicle in texas and wished to drive it home. Can I get a temp tag in Utah somehow before I leave so that I'm registered?

What is the process here? Anyone ever done it?

Thanks

Cody

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Yes, I have a couple times. You need to send in the stuff to the friendliest local DMV you can, they will mail you back temp tags. So plan on a couple days wherever you are. I was working where I bought the vehicles, so it was not an issue for me.

I can't remember but I think you need to have the vehicle insured, but that should be as easy as a phone call.

gripguru

Nate Davidson
So, say I bought a vehicle in texas and wished to drive it home. Can I get a temp tag in Utah somehow before I leave so that I'm registered?

What is the process here? Anyone ever done it?

Thanks

Cody

Is the vehicle that you are buying missing registration? If it has tags on it right now, you can wait until you get back to home. The bill of sale and title documents can answer any questions if you get pulled over. If it is missing tags then try for temps before you go, good luck.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
If I remember correctly like he said above the title will work for a registration for 3 days after the date of sale

Maddeh

You can get a 48 hour permit from any DMV office. You need proof of ownership (title or Bill of Sale), and proof of insurance. I think its relatively cheap, less than $10 or something.

I looked into this just last month when I bought a VW in Monticello. I ended up not getting the temp stuff though, I just drove it home with expired tags.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Interesting. I'm still waiting to hear back. I may try and borrow a truck and trailer and just drag it home. The rig has been sitting for 2 years so I'm not sure I'd feel good taking it on a 1000+ mile road trip without going through some things first

Cody

yakinaked

Go for it Cody, then I won't have to listen to you ***** about your 4.0L...

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
ya, I'm not worried about the insurance. thats coverd. just the licensing and I think it's really a dead issue cause I'd be dumb to try and drive it back. I'm going to try to arrange a way to go down and tow it back.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Does it have a 4.0;)

no. thats the point. It's a 98 w/ the 5.2, dynatrac axles and 28k original miles :D

well, the rear is dynatrac at least.

it's not a done deal yet, but as long as the owner is cool with my conditions then I should be picking it up sometime in late october.

how many grands do you have now?

Well, I have one now, and I'm hopefully buying this one so I'll have two...but I'm going to sell the one I have now so just one. This will be my 4th though. I'm a glutton for punishment.