Buying a new SUV

I am just looking for input on what types of New SUVS everyone has their eyes on and why. I will buying a new SUV within the next few months.
I am fan of Toyota and Mitsubishi but I am disapointed that Mitsu dropped the Montero Sport so now I am looking for something new. Something with factory lockers and a decent offorad package would be nice so that I dont have to void any warranties as quickly.

Here is the question...

If you were to buy a 2005 or 2006 SUV what would you buy and why?

Chiksic

Resident Stoner
I wouldn't buy new, but if I had all the money in the world, I'd get a Rubicon. It's more expensive and not as good as doing the work yourself or having it done some where, but, as you said, no warranties would be voided and they're pretty spiffy. :cool:

I have to buy new. I have $400 a month for the payment and the vehicle must be purchased new. Or a vehicle that I already own that is less than 1 year old.

Chiksic said:
I wouldn't buy new, but if I had all the money in the world, I'd get a Rubicon. It's more expensive and not as good as doing the work yourself or having it done some where, but, as you said, no warranties would be voided and they're pretty spiffy. :cool:

KToy

if money wasnt an issue. i would buy another sequioa. i love my 03. factory locker and all.

i like the 05's though with the bigger motor. i would buy another one with more HP because this one tows my rockcrawler no problem

and the new 05 would tow it better.

Chiksic

Resident Stoner
caverspencer said:
I have to buy new. I have $400 a month for the payment and the vehicle must be purchased new. Or a vehicle that I already own that is less than 1 year old.
Ooh. Are you being paid to wrap it in a big advertisement?

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
Sequoia, first choice.

Volv xc90, second choice, but that takes it out of the $400 payment, or lease payment.

Rubicon Third choice, only because it has a seating deficiency problem for me and mine.

If you could wait, the new FJ40 looks way cool, and almost would sway me from a rubicon.

Last edited:

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
Tried to find a link to it, but it is (the new FJ40 type thing) in the June 2005 4Wheel and Off Road mnagazine, by Petersons, page 102.

Cute, like a Rav 4 with the Taco V6, and some beefy wheelin' features.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Just posting to keep track of what you're buying new for $400 per month. I've been looking pretty hard (tow rig-SUV) and I haven't seen anything I'm that impressed with SUVwise. Trucks, I can find something, SUV.....Excursion is the only game in town for me. Definitely not $400 per month.

I'm kinda into the Rubicon, or just an Unlimited would be kinda sweet. Best out of the box wheeler available and can be made to do some pretty nasty trails for just a little more money....

mbryson said:
Just posting to keep track of what you're buying new for $400 per month. I've been looking pretty hard (tow rig-SUV) and I haven't seen anything I'm that impressed with SUVwise. Trucks, I can find something, SUV.....Excursion is the only game in town for me. Definitely not $400 per month.

I'm kinda into the Rubicon, or just an Unlimited would be kinda sweet. Best out of the box wheeler available and can be made to do some pretty nasty trails for just a little more money....

Well actually the specifics right now are that I must purchase it new and it must be atleast $15,000. Within a year I should be recieve $1000 for my choice of either either 2 vehicles or one vehicle valued at alteast $30,000. If I buy the $30,000 suv right now then I hope to have money in my pocket when I recive the $1000 a month. So just for fun lets pretend like money is not an issue.

And no it will not be wrapped in advertisments. Although I imagine I will put a "thanks Frank" sticker on it.

Still think about geeting a big 4 runner limited with the third seat and using it as tow rig then build up my Ranger and/or MS.

The thing that furstrates me is it seems many of the SUVs are going to AWD and getting rid of the low range. That and 4 wheel independant suspension. My biggest compalin with my MS if the IFS on the front, limits the atriculation a lot. Sure it is a smooth ride on washbroads but I could care less....

V-DAWG

someday
I have a friend with the CRD Liberty. That little diesel engine rocks! Although someone just posted a link to a Liberty that didn't fair so well on a little hill, I wouldn't mind owning one with a diesel. I don't think there is another smaller SUV that could compare to the seat of the pants power that engine produces.....well, the porsche maybe

mbryson

Supporting Member
caverspencer said:
Well actually the specifics right now are that I must purchase it new and it must be atleast $15,000. Within a year I should be recieve $1000 for my choice of either either 2 vehicles or one vehicle valued at alteast $30,000. If I buy the $30,000 suv right now then I hope to have money in my pocket when I recive the $1000 a month. So just for fun lets pretend like money is not an issue.

And no it will not be wrapped in advertisments. Although I imagine I will put a "thanks Frank" sticker on it.

Still think about geeting a big 4 runner limited with the third seat and using it as tow rig then build up my Ranger and/or MS.

The thing that furstrates me is it seems many of the SUVs are going to AWD and getting rid of the low range. That and 4 wheel independant suspension. My biggest compalin with my MS if the IFS on the front, limits the atriculation a lot. Sure it is a smooth ride on washbroads but I could care less....

Money not an issue! Diesel Excursion. Great tow rig but kinda big for the trails. I'm sure I'm not the target 'market' of the modern SUV buyer. There's NOTHING out there for me.

I'd still look HARD at a Wrangler UnLimited if I were you. Rubicon or not......

What made you pick the Sequioa over the 4 runner?

The more I look the more I like the idea a of 4 runner. I just htink the new ones are ugly. But looks arent everything.

AtTiLiA said:
if money wasnt an issue. i would buy another sequioa. i love my 03. factory locker and all.

i like the 05's though with the bigger motor. i would buy another one with more HP because this one tows my rockcrawler no problem

and the new 05 would tow it better.

mbryson

Supporting Member
caverspencer said:
........The more I look the more I like the idea a of 4 runner. I just htink the new ones are ugly. But looks arent everything.

I'm with you on the looks of the 4Runner and I'll never pay that much money for something I have to compromise on.

I'd probably go with the Xterra over the 4Runner if only for the looks.

I don't know why a Jeep Wrangler isn't an SUV unless you're defining an SUV as a 'truck-based wagon' and then it's kind of a convertible version of that.

mowlasley

Realistically, what are you going to do with this thing?
Here are the options:

Get groceries

Go camping

Take long trips

Tow the boat

Tow the MS

Ride fire roads

Ride trails

Haul kids

Give us some percentages of these activities, then we can give more accurate suggestions.

Chiksic

Resident Stoner
You plan to actually wheel with this thing, right? If that's the case I have no idea why a Sequoia is even an option. It's way too big and bulky IMO. A soccer mom in my neighborhood has one and I've riden in it a couple times. It's nice and all, but a level 1 trail would max out it's abilities IMO.