Buying a new SUV

Darren

There aren't too many decent options in the midsize category. The Xterra is the only one that comes with a locker and therefore is likely the most capable of any current model. Possibly the best choice out there.

The only other one I can think of that is still reliable, yet decent off-road, would be the 4Runner. It's lower (8" at the front diff) than an Xterra which I think is its biggest weakness, but its traction control system works well. You can get an ARB for the rear and the front isn't probably too far away, especially since they share the same diff as the Tacoma. Also, the front axle shafts are the same diameter as the rear, which are basically equivalent to a Dana 44. That's tough to beat, too. The looks might be of your run of the mill urban SUV, but make no mistake, it is very much still a truck underneath.

AtTiLiA said:
i would buy another sequioa. i love my 03. factory locker and all.
Factory center locker. Diffs are still open.

AtTiLiA said:
iv owned over 30 vehicles since i was 16, now im 24. nothing holds up like a toyota.
With a new ride every 3.2 months, I'm dumbfounded how, or why, you could even come up with that analysis!

Last edited:

KToy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTiLiA
iv owned over 30 vehicles since i was 16, now im 24. nothing holds up like a toyota.

With a new ride every 3.2 months, I'm dumbfounded how, or why, you could even come up with that analysis!
Today 05:35 PM

well some vehicles i owned for few weeks. i use to work for a credit union and bought a lot of repos. i dont count most of these vehicles as i bought them to sell them. but going through a lot of vehicles i have found out what has problems off the bat and what doesnt.

the ones i have kept(over 30) some i kept for short amount of time because i hated them. PSD CTD, hated them. honda prelude. good car. bmw also a good car.

anyways. i drive my cars pretty hard. and toyotas seem to have the least amount of problems off the bat and seems to break less.

anyways the last tundra i had i had for 4 months and then wanted to get a vehicle my wife liked with the new baby. so sequiao was the next choice. i will have another tundra though.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
If I had it to do over, and unlimited money, I would buy another Rubicon. I love my Rubicon!!! The first weekend I had it, I took it on the Rubicon trail and nearly rolled it! Only rig out there with factory plates and under 1,000 miles on it!! Now you look at it with about $15k in upgrades, and it's a kick a$$ wheeling rig! It's been on the Rubicon (full distance), Pritchett several times, Rusty Nail, Golden Spike, and all the way up constrictor several times.

allterrain

AllTerrain
Yes, Chiksic- I was totally joking about the Escalade. :)

The question posed earlier is still valid. What is the intended use of the new rig? How long are you going to keep it?
Is it going to promote a business? If money is no object (not $400/mo), a lifted H2 has some attention power. Pretty capable offroad although the yuppie soccer moms dilute some of the cool factor. Some great options have been mentioned. I'm sure we would have many more suggestions if it didn't have to be brand new.

hurricane_med_01.jpg
hurricane_08.jpg
hurricane_07.jpg

This would be sweet!! :D

Realistically... 70% "soccer mom" activities, shopping, road trips etc.. (pavement driving)
20% (dirt to rocky roads) camping, driving to caves, climbing etc...
5% wheeling
5% towing the MS to go wheeling.

Drove the Xterra Sport edition and the 4 runner today. The Xterra is smaller, to stiff and only has towing capacity of 5000lbs and gets lower milage. Yet it feels big and awkward.

The 4 runner is smooth and comfy. My complaint was the brakes seemed overly touchy. (maybe I better check my MS bakes)

After more research the suspesnion on the sport edition of the 4 runner is not worth losing the third seat option.

So what it will probalby be '05 4 runner limited, 3rd row seat, has 9.1 inch groudn clearance and 31/24 apporach departure angle. Rear locker, torsen limited slip center dif,

I woudl be intereseted in knowing the angles are on my MS. Too late tonight to find out...

Still havent decided ont eh V8 with 700 lbs towing or the V6 with 5000lb

The 4 runner is much smoother ride than the xterra. The seats are much more comfy and it seems to be more of a luxury type vehicle on the inside. It definately has my vote today. Now to decide on options...

I am still open to other ideas.

I am also curious about teh X-REAS suspension on the sport edition 4 runner. It is actually an option on the limited so I am definately looking at the limited.

mowlasley said:
Realistically, what are you going to do with this thing?
Here are the options:

Get groceries

Go camping

Take long trips

Tow the boat

Tow the MS

Ride fire roads

Ride trails

Haul kids

Give us some percentages of these activities, then we can give more accurate suggestions.

KToy

hey bart. my 05 tundra did tow my rockcrawler over the pass at no less than 65. hung right with my friend power stroke.

if you dont beleieve go testdrive one with your rockcrawler. when we went to moab for spring break i did not drop below 65 in a 05 sr5 extra cab tundra.

new motor in the 05 283 HP the new vvt system gives it a lot of umph.

mowlasley

caverspencer said:
5% wheeling
5% towing the MS to go wheeling.

Still havent decided ont eh V8 with 700 lbs towing or the V6 with 5000lb

Is the V6 really a good option if you are going to be towing the MS? I wouldn't take the chances if you are really going to be spending 5% of your time with the MS on the back. There are not many experiences more frustrating than having to shift way down to make a hill at 30 mph. How much does that mitsu beast weigh, anyway? I would think you would be pushing it with the 7000 lbs. tow capacity by the time you factor in 1500-2000 lbs. for a trailer and whatnot, and I would personally rather have a little overkill, especially when towing something as beloved as the wheeler.

mowlasley said:
Is the V6 really a good option if you are going to be towing the MS? I wouldn't take the chances if you are really going to be spending 5% of your time with the MS on the back. There are not many experiences more frustrating than having to shift way down to make a hill at 30 mph. How much does that mitsu beast weigh, anyway? I would think you would be pushing it with the 7000 lbs. tow capacity by the time you factor in 1500-2000 lbs. for a trailer and whatnot, and I would personally rather have a little overkill, especially when towing something as beloved as the wheeler.

Well probalby not really 5% Anyone that knows me knows that i cant sit still on the weekends saturday I am goone somewhere wether it be wheeling, climbing or caving chances are the vehicles is going to be in 4 low. Often on sundays I head out to 5 mile with the wife and kids to play around. so two days week the vehicle will be off pavement, but not necisarily whelling. Realistically the Montero might get towed to moab three times a year. so thats more like 1%. I wont count the 10 miles from my house to the rattlesnake/constrictor parking or the 15 miles down to little moab. so 6 times a year over soldiers pass. Is it worth the lower gas mileage the rest of the year? Probalby not... As long as i dont have to put the 4 runner in 4low to get up the hill with the MS in tow I think I will be fine :)

5 days a week most weeks it sees nothing but pavement and a little gravel when we take a "short cut" or something.

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
allterrain said:
You guys are all WRONG WRONG WRONG!!
I have owned Jeeps, Toyotas, Rovers, ect., but you have all missed the ultimate 4x4 rig. An Escalade slammed on 22's is where it's at baby!!
Pimp daddy gold package, subs everywere, limo tint, it's all about the bling man!! :)
.....http://www.jeep.com/autoshow/grand_...srt8/index.html

I read this, and reread this, and I couldn't resist merging the two posts., kinda like I will see your ecalade, and raise you a heep!!

Life is too short to be serious 100% of the time................

And good choice on the 'runnah as your new SUV
They are sexy..............