Bypass oil filters

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Hey, are any of you guys running an FS-2500 bypass oil filter on your diesel truck? They swear up and down that you can get 10,000+ miles to an oil change. Its not the cost of an oil change that bothers me (although it is expensive) its the fact that my oil is black 1000 miles after I change it. Anyway some feedback would be nice, thanks.

don't worry about your oil being black in your diesel pick-up. It will do that even after 10 minutes of running. It is just soot. Change your oil regularly as per manufacturers specs and you will be fine.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I have been looking for a long time and finally found a two quart filter (these things are huge!) for my diesel truck. I run one on my Toyota 20R and still can't believe the difference it made. I think i'll just see if that helps and then consider the bypass filter. The bypass filters just seem like a good idea + a money saver considering the miles I've been racking up. Thanks for the input you guys.

53 willys

Bad speller
Rot Box said:
I have been looking for a long time and finally found a two quart filter (these things are huge!) for my diesel truck. I run one on my Toyota 20R and still can't believe the difference it made. I think i'll just see if that helps and then consider the bypass filter. The bypass filters just seem like a good idea + a money saver considering the miles I've been racking up. Thanks for the input you guys.

running a bigger filter wont have the same effect as a bypass filter.

Approximately 60 percent of all engine wear is caused by dirt particles in the five to 20 micron range. These particles can get inside the precision clearances between engine components and cause severe damage. While full-flow oil filters generally stop contaminants no smaller than 25 to 40 microns, the AMSOIL By-Pass Filter effectively stops particles down to one micron in size, substantially reducing engine wear.

Prevents Oil Degradation, Rust and Corrosion
Water enters motor oil as a combustion by-product or as a condensate and can cause extreme engine damage, causing metal surface rust and corrosion that increases friction and wear and deteriorates the close-fitting tolerances between engine components. In addition, water reacts with other contaminants to form corrosive acids and sludge, which also damage metal components. The AMSOIL By-Pass Filter removes moisture and condensation, reducing the risk of oil degradation, engine rust and corrosion.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I've been reading about the bypass filters for a while, and I'm going to go ahead and get one pretty soon. The 2 quart filters definatly help but like you said compared to a bypass there is no competition. I have decided that for the money its relatively cheap insurance compared to a new engine expecially in diesel pickups.