C4 Pros & Cons

broncodan

For Your Viewing Pleasure
Hello all, I am currently doing a frame off on a 1976 Bronco. It has the stock C4 trans, and I am just wondering if that is a good option, or if I should try and do something with overdrive. I will spend plenty of time wheelin, but also want to be able to go down the highway. I have a wild horses 5.5" suspension lift, and a 2"body lift. I am going to run either 36 or 37 inch tires. I would like to hear your guys opinions on what the pros and cons of this application are, and what you might recommend.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
broncodan said:
Hello all, I am currently doing a frame off on a 1976 Bronco. It has the stock C4 trans, and I am just wondering if that is a good option, or if I should try and do something with overdrive. I will spend plenty of time wheelin, but also want to be able to go down the highway. I have a wild horses 5.5" suspension lift, and a 2"body lift. I am going to run either 36 or 37 inch tires. I would like to hear your guys opinions on what the pros and cons of this application are, and what you might recommend.

With a 5" lift and stock wheelbase, there really is not a good OD auto option. AOD/A4OD and 700r4 are all too long to have a good driveline length/angle with a 9" rear end....it may be OK if you had a HP 60 rear....
If you must have an overdrive auto, a chev 700R4 is probably the best option. Even with adapters it is cheaper than build a good Ford AOD. (and I am a Ford guy ;) ) Kincade can tell you eveything you need to know about that swap....

The C4 is a great option (no OD though) it is stong, efficient, and small. You can build them to handle up to 450hp pretty easy and cheap.
For both offroad and Highway, I would say go with 4.56 or even 4.10 in the axles and and an Atlas with your choice of low range. Or a Stack tcase with dual lowranges, or wait for the 4 speed Atlas :D

My ideal coice would be a C4 with the short dana 300/atlas adapter, hooked to a KluneV, hooked to an atlas. Still shorter than any auto OD and Stronger!!!! plus all sorts of gear possibilities. There is thread on POR about doing exactly this combo....Very cool :cool:

For reference in my Bronco I am running the same C4 I had rebuilt in 1989. It has been through 3 tcases and now has an atlas behind it with a 3.8 low. I still run 4.10's in the axles....wish they were a little lower some times, but the dirt roads at 70mph are too much fun to give up :D I run 38's on it as well.

broncodan

So with a C4, 4.10 gears, and 38's you can still run 70 on the highway? What motor are you running, and what RPM's at going 70?

Last edited:

broncodan

Has anyone here successfully ran a Ford AOD with a ford 9 inch in this application? If so, I would really like to hear about it.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
broncodan said:
So with a C4, 4.10 gears, and 38's you can still run 70 on the highway? What motor are you running, and what RPM's at going 70?

Honestly it has been a while since I had a speedo in it ;)
And it is not highway legal :D
But it has been up to that spped on dirt (trying to follow Hawkins :rolleyes: )
Probably about 2600 rpm....check the chart at ringandpinion.com
I am running a 351w.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I personally wouldn't run a C4. They have weak second and reverse's. I used to drag race a 68 Mustang with a C4. I put LOTS of money in it and kept burning them up. I only had a 302 that I built in front of it. Granted it was a high horse motor, but still.....It would always go when changing from first to second and leave me coasting the rest of the quarter mile. Out of 3 passes, I would loose a tranny. At first, I thought it was me and the fact I wasn't building them right..but it wasn't. The third one to go was built by someone else. Then I scrapped the whole deal, pulled the motor and put it in a 85 Mustang with an AOD and drag raced it. Personally, I think the AOD heald longer and worked better.

Granted, you'll probably never be out of first when you're applying the most power/torque, but....

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
rckcrlr said:

That's nice! They didn't have that when I was racing.... Or not that I knew of anyway. But it's very pricy at $460!! :eek: But I don't think it solves the problem of being weak... It's most likely stronger, becuase it's made by TCI and not Ford :rolleyes: but I think it's intended to be a lower gear than stock.

I don't know...They are easy to spend a lot of money on to make stronger, but in my opinion after dropping ~$5k each time, it was a waste of money for me. I'd still look elsewhere if it were me. But like I said before, maybe staying in first, with 5.13's back at the axles, and etc. maybe it's not a weak link anymore. But when you put a crap load of HP in front of it, nailing it at a light with a stall torque converter and 3.07's, they are junk after 2 or 3 passes. I'm dead serious, there was nothing I could do to keep them together and when your losing a check becuase of it, it's not worth it.

But if you want to try, I'm a TCI dealer!! :D

OCNORB

Supporting Member
I have to agree with Wayne. The C4 was original equipment in my Bronc and it was it's achilles heel. I found a deal on an NV4500 and would never go back. A few guys around here that do run the c-4 keep a spare rebuilt and ready to go. Not my idea of a good time!

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
If you gotta stay ford, I would go with AOD or C6 before I went C4. The AOD's actually lasted longer for me than the C4's. Are they stronger? I have no idea... But that's what I ran because that's what my 85 Mustang had in it. That was years ago, but I think I ran at least 10 passes before I needed to rebuild. No carnage, just worn out. And those rebuilds are MUCH cheaper and easier to do. But I know in the off road rhelm, length is a concern, and I have no idea what the different lengths are between the three!