Cage / Roll Bar Padding

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
After being witness to a pretty bad roll over last October (everybody is ok... just bumped heads on bars from slightly loose belts) I'd like to get some roll bar padding for a few spots in above the driver & passenger heads. I like the half cut dense foam padding personally.

I know I can source it from summitracing, but I'm wondering if anybody knows where I can get some local?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
After being witness to a pretty bad roll over last October (everybody is ok... just bumped heads on bars from slightly loose belts) I'd like to get some roll bar padding for a few spots in above the driver & passenger heads. I like the half cut dense foam padding personally.

I know I can source it from summitracing, but I'm wondering if anybody knows where I can get some local?

Check McNees, I know he has the wraparound style, he might have the nicer half-round stuff also?

Otherwise, Summit will make it local the next day for you. :) (that's where I got mine back in the day)

blacktj1997

i have heard of people going to the plumbing supply and getting foam pipe insulation. i bet that is a pretty cost effective way to do that as well.

chadschoon

that's what I was thinking as well but what would you wrap it with? I have a ton laying around and have wanted to try it but I think you would have to wrap it with something

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Pipe insulation is much less dense than "real" roll bar padding, especially the half-round stuff Herzog is referring to. Use the right stuff, and your head will thank you.

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
The actual roll bar padding is made to compress correctly. If you have a hard impact that pipe insulation wont be much good. Its OK for minor bumps against it but if you hit hard it will hurt.

Crinco

Or we could just put on a helmet when we are about to do something "fun". A good helmet and proper seat belts should all but eliminate the need for foam, no?
That being said, I don't wear a helmet, and don't have shoulders on my belts, but I haven't hit my head yet either or I am sure I would by now.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Or we could just put on a helmet when we are about to do something "fun". A good helmet and proper seat belts should all but eliminate the need for foam, no?
That being said, I don't wear a helmet, and don't have shoulders on my belts, but I haven't hit my head yet either or I am sure I would by now.

I've barrel rolled down a hill with only my lap belt on and I didn't head my head on the overheads. That said, it still could happen and I'd rather have a little bit of padding in a few strategic places. It's cheap and easy anyways.

I'm not really that aggressive of a drive either, but something as little as a hub going out on a large slow climb can turn pretty catastrophic.

I have 1 3' length of the padding if you want it.

Thanks for the offer! I'll let you know if I will need it. :)