callao campground

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
its been a while since i have been out there, does anyone know if they have running water and out houses there?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
There's a campground in Callao? Huh... I've camped many many times in the Deep Creeks, but didn't even know there was a campground in Callao.

You planning on heading that way Memorial Day weekend?

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
There's a campground in Callao? Huh... I've camped many many times in the Deep Creeks, but didn't even know there was a campground in Callao.

You planning on heading that way Memorial Day weekend?

yeah there is one that is 4 miles south of callao. i am trying to find some place to get away to. i just found there is a utv group heading out there as well that weekend.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Fish Springs? I thought that was just for boy scouts or whatever, I went through there maybe 2 months ago and didn't see anything, but there was snow on the ground

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
Fish Springs? I thought that was just for boy scouts or whatever, I went through there maybe 2 months ago and didn't see anything, but there was snow on the ground

not quite, it just south of callao. google callao ccc campground and it will come up.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
"CCC" explains the confusion.

Definition: CCC - The Civilian Conservation Corps hired young men from 1933 to 1942 to revitalize America's forests.

There were many old camps out in the desert way back when. Chances are, that "camp" is nothing more than a few concrete foundations now.

There is a CCC camp at the end of Tom's Creek, south of Callao. It's got some pad sites and picnic tables but no running water and no outhouses. There is water up in the Deep Creeks to the west, and there are MUCH cooler/nicer spots to camp than the CCC site.

fjcruisin

"CCC" explains the confusion.

Definition: CCC - The Civilian Conservation Corps hired young men from 1933 to 1942 to revitalize America's forests.

There were many old camps out in the desert way back when. Chances are, that "camp" is nothing more than a few concrete foundations now.

The "CCC camp" now consists of a few fire pits and picnic tables sitting under trees that idiots have stripped for firewood. There has never been anything resembling a KOA out there and I doubt there ever will be. You head into that country, you're on your own. Be prepared!

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Makes sense now. Yeah the CCC camp is pretty desolate. No facilities, and not really a nice place to camp. The Deep Creeks have lots of nice primitive camping. It might be a bit of a zoo out there this weekend though. We're headed that way. We'll be camping in Indian Farm Canyon.

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
i was worried about there being a lot of people even out there. i really like granite canyon we will have to see what there is when we get out there.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
there were no trails that were blocked buy snow it was a great place to be on memorial day.

There were quite a few trailers at the CCC camp. Many more than I ever recall seeing. We had a great weekend in Indian Farm canyon, just above Callao.

We even saw a snake threesome! :greg:

And 50 caliber tracer rounds! :eek:

Attachments

• 100_2152 (Medium).JPG
    100_2152 (Medium).JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 100_2087 (Medium).jpg
    100_2087 (Medium).jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 100_2052 (Medium).JPG
    100_2052 (Medium).JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 100_2044 (Medium).jpg
    100_2044 (Medium).jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 100_2034 (Medium).jpg
    100_2034 (Medium).jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 15

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
There were quite a few trailers at the CCC camp. Many more than I ever recall seeing. We had a great weekend in Indian Farm canyon, just above Callao.

We even saw a snake threesome! :greg:

And 50 caliber tracer rounds! :eek:

i found a post online about some utv club that was camping out there. i bet that's where they all were from.

we wanted to head up Indian farm canyon but didn't make it. is there anything interesting up that canyon?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
i found a post online about some utv club that was camping out there. i bet that's where they all were from.

we wanted to head up Indian farm canyon but didn't make it. is there anything interesting up that canyon?

Very scenic, tons of good hiking. It looks like the pictures I posted. ;)