calling network techies

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
OK I have a networking question to throw out.

First my setup: Qwest DSL to modem, modem to linksys wrt54g router, ethernet connection to desktop and all-in-one printer, a few wifi feeds to laptops, PS3, etc...

I have a HP all in one printer/fax,etc... connected to my router by an ethernet cable. I sometimes need to access the all-in-one remotely to enable/disable auto answer on the fax machine (I don't leave it on auto answer all the time because it messes with my voice messaging). The all-in-one has an embedded web server and I have it on a static internal IP. I currently access the printer via remote desktop to my xp machine(static internal IP as well) then type in the ip address of the printer in the browser and make my changes there.

That works out just fine, but now that I have my new macbook I don't use the xp machine much (it's old and slow) so I would like to not have to have it on 24/7 just to host RDP. I can enter my external IP (I have it tracked with no-ip.com) and access my modem's page just fine, but how do I get to the printer(embedded web server)? I suppose I need to forward ports somewhere, but which ports, which device (modem or router or both).

Any ideas?

Caleb

On the router you will need to forward port 80 to your static ip of the all-in-one. (assuming the all-in-one is on port 80) If it uses a different port, then forward that port to your all-in-one and access it by going to your external ip specifying the port (111.111.111.111:8080, 8080 being the port number).

Caleb

Oh, and I'd post the exact instruction but I don't have a stock wrt54g around for the exact steps. It does say in the user manual how to do it though and It's actually pretty straight forward. :D

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
thanks. I can forward the ports on the router. I just didn't know which ports. Also, do I need to forward any ports on the modem? For RDP I had to forward the port (on the modem) to the router's external IP (which is the same as the modem's internal IP) then forward the port on the router to the pc. Do I do the same thing for the all in one.

How do I check to be sure the all in one is on port 80?

Caleb

If the modem is your firewall as well then you will need to forward it there too. I guess we should clarify a few things, what device is handing out dhcp? How is the router setup (bridge mode, access point mode, etc)? This will determine where you need to forward it. It sounds like you are double natting (having to forward on both devices). You should be able to set the router into bridge mode which will just make it another client on the network and allow it to pass the dhcp from the modem through to the rest of the devices (you may need to reconfigure the static IPs you have setup though). Once you do that, you will onyl have to forward ports on the modem.

To see what port the all-in-one is one you can either check in the config or if you access it by going to 192.168.xxx.xxx (not specifying the port like in my example above) then it's on port 80. If you access it via https://192.168.xxx.xxx then it's on port 443. (This is all assuming your internal range is 192.168.xxx.xxx, that's the default range on the Linksys and Qwest Modem.)

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
OK I think I got it. It sounds like my printer is on port 80 because when on RDP or inside the network I just type in the address. I think the router is in access point mode, it handles all the dhcp. The modem is mainly just a gateway. So I should forward port 80 on the modem to the router then port 80 on the router to the printer?

If I do that will it mess with any of my other devices? I'm thinking about my PS3 and web gaming here.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Here's another cool thing that will help once you get it all set up:http://www.no-ip.com/

You can register a domain name (they have free versions) to your external dynamic IP. You then run a small app on any computer behind that external IP which will check every so often if your IP has changed. If it has changed, it will update the no-ip dns entry automatically. It's nice not having to remember your external home ip for little stuff.

Edit - nevermind... looks like you already use no-ip. I'll keep this posted in case others want to try it.

bobmed

- - - -
Here's another cool thing that will help once you get it all set up:http://www.no-ip.com/

You can register a domain name (they have free versions) to your external dynamic IP. You then run a small app on any computer behind that external IP which will check every so often if your IP has changed. If it has changed, it will update the no-ip dns entry automatically. It's nice not having to remember your external home ip for little stuff.

Edit - nevermind... looks like you already use no-ip. I'll keep this posted in case others want to try it.

Thanks for the info.
Its something I can use:)

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
Thanks for the help supergper.

I just set it all up from my office via RDP and now I can access the print server directly by adding :80 to the end of my external IP.

Caleb

Thanks for the help supergper.

I just set it all up from my office via RDP and now I can access the print server directly by adding :80 to the end of my external IP.
:cool: You shouldn't have to add :80 to the end though, port 80 is the default port for http. Either way, atleast it's working.