Camera's??

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Just curious....what kind of camera are all of you using? I am not interested in the "point and shoot" cameras.

I am in photography this semester and I am using my parents (very old) SLR camera with black and white film because we are developing our own photos. But I am very interested in getting a Digital SLR when I get out of the class and at least know the basics of the camera. So what are you using? Pros? Cons? Any other info? Thanks in advance for anyone who posts.

Caleb

I use a Nikon D40x. It's a decent camera, more camera then I will ever need (or for atleast a LONG time to come). I was debating between it and the Canon Rebel, decided on it because my brother had recently gotten a Nikon D40, and if I got the D40x we could share lenses. Well, he has now sold his D40 so I no longer have that benefit. I wished I had gotten the Rebel :rofl: I still really like the Nikon though, I've just always been partial to Canon for everything (Camcorders, Point and Shoots, etc).

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
What is the difference between the D40 and the D40x, I have heard good things about them and that they are very beginner friendly. What about photo editing software? What program are people using?

Caleb

What is the difference between the D40 and the D40x, I have heard good things about them and that they are very beginner friendly. What about photo editing software? What program are people using?
D40 is 6mp and the D40x is 10mp, the D40 shoots 2.5 fps the D40x shoots 3fps, the D40 has 6.3 million sensor photo detectors the D40x has 10.8 million sensor photo detectors.

Really the only noticeable difference is the megapixels and the speed if you have high speed cards in both.

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Oh, and an excellent site to get info on cameras is www.dpreview.com you can do a side-by-side with just about any cameras you want.

Thanks for the link, I will be sure to check it out when I start "officially" looking to buy one, I am just getting people's opinions right now.

Nikon rules. D40/60/80/90 are all amazing cameras. Just choose the one that fits in your budget.

Sweet, thank you.

D40 is 6mp and the D40x is 10mp, the D40 shoots 2.5 fps the D40x shoots 3fps, the D40 has 6.3 million sensor photo detectors the D40x has 10.8 million sensor photo detectors.

Really the only noticeable difference is the megapixels and the speed if you have high speed cards in both.

Thanks for the information, I will check out the link you gave me.

jet_aj

Just loosing my mind
I have a Sony Alpha a200 and love it. It has vibration reduction built in to the camera body so I can use any lens that will mount to it and not worry about spending the extra 70-100 per lens to get the vibration reduction lens for a Nikon... Plus I found the Sony has a lot more options for lenses from several different manufacturers as it uses a more widely used mount, where the Nikon uses their own specific lens mount.

I have a 70mm-300mm lens and the vibration reduction does very well with it as well.

It has been a great camera and is easy to use. Gives great control over everything. For the price and options over the Nikon, I would buy another Sony in a heartbeat. I would like to upgrade the the a300 or a400 with the pop out lcd screen allowing you to lift the camera up high or down low and see what your taking pictures of... more of a convenience thing but still.

muleskinner

I'll give a vote for Canon. I have a Canon D30:D, dig Rebel, 40D and a 1D Mark III. My 40 has been an absolute workhorse, I use it 6-7 days a week and take between 300-1000 pictures a day with it. I mainly use it because it has a wireless module which shoots to my router, onto my server, then the pictures are uploaded immediately to the screen. I use my MarkIII mainly for sports, dance etc. (the 10fps is handy) I think Canon or Nikon would be my choice simply for ease of finding glass (Ksl, Ebay etc.) As you probably know, spend your money on good glass!

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
If you are already shooting film and processing everything yourself, why go digital? Just upgrade to medium or large format. You can pick up great medium format cameras for really cheap right now, and digital SLR's are still way behind in resolution in comparison to that size of negative.
The only reason to go digital is if you want to shoot a lot of color. Color processing is a b!tch. But if you want to shoot B&W, stick with film. I use a Mamiya C330, an Ansco range finder, and a B&J Speed Press.

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Good info from all of you guys.

Stephen I want digital because then I can shoot 1000 pictures a day and just delete all the ones that aren't good pictures. While shooting with my film camera i feel like i take forever because I am trying to compose a good picture. And I will be shooting a lot of color, the only reason I am not now is because my school doesn't have the chemicals in the lab to develope color. Plus wouldn't a digital pay for itself after a couple thousand pictures w/ the price of film and paying to get them developed.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
I am a Canon shooter too. I LOVE my 40d. Had 2d prior to this and EOS film SLR is still in my bag. Now I am looking to get a 5dII.
Honestly an XTi is a great camera and good value. There has been some good deals on KSL lately and Circuit City has had some good closeout deals. Canon vs Nikon is like Ford vs Chevy....
You can find all you want to know and more about Canon here http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I've got a Canon XTi and a Pentax ZX10 with some decent glass. I use the XTi WAY more than the Pentax due to the film processing factor.

I'd make someone a screaming deal on a Pentax with a few lenses if they are interested. I'm not sure I'll ever use it again.

I need to invest in some decent glass for the XTi.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
canon.

when you watch a world class sporting event, there is a reason all of the lenses you see in the gallery are white.