Camping - The Swell, Mar. '14

DAA

We headed out Friday afternoon, towing the tin turd tanker, arriving at The Wedge in time to find a spot and get camp setup before it got too dark.

20140329_Swell_Camping-1W.jpg

20140329_Swell_Camping-4W.jpg

Steve and Jen got a later start than we did and arrived about dark, but had no problem getting their camp setup quickly. Then we all sat around Steve’s new “campfire in a can”, which actually turned out to be pretty cool – it puts out a nice cheery little campfire with no muss, no fuss.

Next morning after a lazy start, we headed out on a loop drive to see some of the sights. All of us had seen some of the stuff on our loop, but none of us had seen all of it. So there was at least something new for everyone.
First stop was the Chinese railroad worker huts from the 1880’s, along the old D&RGW grade.

20140329_Swell_Camping-13W.jpg

20140329_Swell_Camping-16W.jpg

20140329_Swell_Camping-18W.jpg

20140329_Swell_Camping-20W.jpg

20140329_Swell_Camping-27W.jpg

- DAA

DAA

From there we swung down Tidwell draw heading for Smith cabin. Couple sights along the way.

20140329_Swell_Camping-51W.jpg

This tunnel, or cave, or whatever you want to call it, has some very faded and exfoliated pictographs around the entrance and a smoke blackened ceiling. I offered my Daughter $20 to crawl back in there and tell us what she saw, but she wouldn’t do it…

20140329_Swell_Camping-54W.jpg

Smith cabin.

20140329_Swell_Camping-63W.jpg

From Smith cabin we headed south down Buckmaster Draw. The whole area is just loaded with old mining activity. There are shafts and old foundations and building rubble and mining detritus everywhere you look. We poked around a few of the bigger looking shafts, even going a few hundred yards down into one of them. It just kept getting neater and neater the further in we went, with drifts going off the sides and big chambers and all kinds of stuff. But none of us were real comfy in there, so we didn’t keep going but returned to the surface.

20140329_Swell_Camping-69W.jpg

20140329_Swell_Camping-72W.jpg

20140329_Swell_Camping-76W.jpg

20140329_Swell_Camping-78W.jpg

Next stop was one of my favorite petroglyph panels. You don’t see too many trees depicted in rock art. And the way this one has what I think is a depiction of the San Rafael river leading down to the tree and everything, I just think this is a really neat panel.

20140329_Swell_Camping-88W.jpg

20140329_Swell_Camping-95W.jpg

- DAA

DAA

Next up, Black Dragon.

I find this very busy panel more interesting than the famous “dragon”, but, that’s just me.

20140329_Swell_Camping-106W.jpg

20140329_Swell_Camping-118W.jpg

And the Black Dragon panel – the “praying dog” is my favorite part of this one.

20140329_Swell_Camping-122W.jpg

20140329_Swell_Camping-128W.jpg

Me and Summer started up to the cave, but I decided I wasn’t comfortable with her on the last pitch so we turned back.

20140329_Swell_Camping-125W.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks he might see an anthropomorph with outstretched arms at the top of this figure, instead of the head of a dragon? Honestly, I don’t really know, but every time I visit this panel, I see “the dragon” less and less and other possibilities more and more.

20140329_Swell_Camping-131W.jpg

The it was up Cottonwood Draw – much more scenic going from south to north than vice versa in my opinion, through Buckhorn and back to camp. With all the usual distractions along the way.

20140329_Swell_Camping-139W.jpg

20140329_Swell_Camping-144W.jpg

20140329_Swell_Camping-151W.jpg

20140329_Swell_Camping-169W.jpg

20140329_Swell_Camping-170W.jpg

20140329_Swell_Camping-174W.jpg

- DAA

DAA

Back in camp for some R&R for awhile. It was looking like we were going to have overcast crappy light for the duration, so I wasn’t planning on visiting the Wedge Overlook. But, the sun started teasing with breaking through the clouds a bit, so we decided to go have a look at the Overlook after all.

Ran into Randy right where I was took these pics – I’m sure his will be much better, LOL!

20140329_Swell_Camping-188-W.jpg

20140329_Swell_Camping-196-W.jpg

20140329_Swell_Camping-217-W.jpg

20140329_Swell_Camping-220-W.jpg

After the Overlook, it was back to camp for grilling steaks, sitting around the fire, sipping whiskey, making s’mores, all the GOOD stuff. Wind was picking up pretty good, but by putting Steve’s new campfire in a can on the leeward side of our trailer we had a pretty nice spot to sit around the fire out of the wind. Just one of those evenings in camp that make the whole trip fun.

Next morning after a huge breakfast, it was just packing up and heading home, which was fairly uneventful – although I’m not real comfortable towing the tin turd tanker in heavy winds.

Good times!

- DAA

DAA

I don't. But, gimme a sec and I'll google up the one he has. It really did work a lot better than I was expecting - and the convenience factor was appreciated more than I'd have guessed too.

Okay, this is the one Steve (Grimmjpr) has:

http://www.campfireinacan.com/the-gas-can.html#.UznteXmPJ9M

Would be awesome somewhere like Doll House #1! But it was pretty cool just hanging out avoiding the wind the other night too. Mornings it was also very nice just to instantly have a cheery little blaze to gather round with no muss no fuss. Just one of those deals that was a lot more cool in real life than I'd have given it credit for.

- DAA

RRBDodge

Looks like a awesome time and seeing your new rig out there makes me think the wife and I might be able to fit in a couple more trips down there without having to ride in my diesel

DAA

Looks like a awesome time and seeing your new rig out there makes me think the wife and I might be able to fit in a couple more trips down there without having to ride in my diesel

Definitely! There's only a few spots on The Swell you need more than a bone stock pickup.

I somehow missed that you got a new rig, that's beautiful. Do you still have the LJ?

Oh yeah, probably going to have that LJ forever. Have had the little red truck for awhile now too.

- DAA