Camping tips:The Sleeping bag

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I read in Outdoor magazine (years ago) that the temperature rating for most bags is usually 15-20* higher than the manufacturer is usually claiming. Seems about right when you think about it and I've tried to keep that in mind when buying a sleeping bag. I have what I'd consider a 3 season bag and would like to add a liner for Winter camping. I think that's an excellent way to go.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have used a Western Mountaineering Badger MF as my primary bag for the past 7 years. It isn't cheap, but I know when it is pushing the 15 degree mark, it is truly a 15 degree bag. I can't say that about many of my other sleeping bags which claim even a 20 degree rating.

http://www.westernmountaineering.co...eping Bags&cat=Microfiber Series&ContentId=34

I have since added WM bags for summer and winter use, plus a rectangular Ponderosa for shoulder season camping.

Davy's first post is spot on.

When I worked for Kirkham's, I had people wanting to buy sleeping bags, but they wanted a down bag with a price tag of $200 or less. I stressed to them the importance of a comfortable night's sleep and encouraged them to save their pennies and buy the best bag we sold (WM bags). I had people come in and thank me after the fact.

If you are a weekend warrior, KOA camper, or you only camp in the summer, a cheaper alternative is just fine. If you venture where you must trust your gear with your wife's happiness ( :) ) get a quality sleeping bag and a quality pad to match.

people never listen:rolleyes: I still miss my western mountaineering bag. I may end up getting one at the OR show.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Greg, you noticed correctly. there is no governing body on bags each company can say what they want and most choose survival rating.

The more quality of a bag you buy the closer it is to comfort rating rather than survival rating. Western mountaineering and other super high quality bags are usually conservative. a 15 degree bag is at least a 15 degree bag.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have become a really big fan of hoodless sleeping bags/quilts lately. I wear a down hat instead. The bag cinches around my neck and I love it. It isn't for everyone, but I like it.

Rock Taco

I have become a really big fan of hoodless sleeping bags/quilts lately. I wear a down hat instead. The bag cinches around my neck and I love it. It isn't for everyone, but I like it.

I have looked at those and strongly considered them since I am a side/stomach sleeper. The hooded bags have always been weird feeling for me to sleep in.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
To much attention to the bag IMHO, you can have the best bag on the market but if you don't have calories to burn you get cold quickly. That said I have a TNF, but am jonesing for the WM or FFF.

Your HO is spot on. I did mention the calorie thing in my original post, but didn't go into too much detail since this is a sleeping bag thread and not necessarily a sleeping warm thread. It is good that you mention it since it has about as much to do with staying warm as the bag.

I have looked at those and strongly considered them since I am a side/stomach sleeper. The hooded bags have always been weird feeling for me to sleep in.

You would never go back.

What down hat do you use Davy? I have one that makes all the difference since I'm bald.

I use the Black rock down hat that you turned me onto to. I ended up getting a Nobul model. It weighs in at 22 grams.
http://www.blackrockgear.com/nobul.html

Although this would be pretty nice
http://www.blackrockgear.com/balaclava.html

If I ended up with a balaclava for sleeping it would probably be this one from Zpacks. I love Zpacks gear.
http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/gooosehood.shtml

Last edited:

MOODY

Bald Guy
I love their stuff. I wore my BR down hat over my lighter weight beanie down in Range Creek the first weekend of the month. Keeps my bald head warm enough so I don't need the hood.

spencevans

Overlander
I love my Campmore Rectangular extra long down sleeping bags. I am sad that they are no longer available. Well on the bright side at least I have two of them and the last for 30-40 years. Being 6'8" it is hard to find a bag that is long enough.

MOODY

Bald Guy
Western Mountaineering makes extra long bags too...and I believe I saw rectangular down bags from Cabelas at one point.

spencevans

Overlander
Western Mountaineering makes extra long bags too...and I believe I saw rectangular down bags from Cabelas at one point.

A lot a companies make long bags, but they are like 83" long. It's just not long enough, I prefer an 86"+ Rectangular bag and to find a bag that long that is made for backpacking and only weighs 2lbs is tough.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Davy, what stuff sack do you use? I know your zpacks has a cuben stuff sack, but I believe you mentioned an eVent one?

DAA

I use a Granite Gear cuben sack with an eVent bottom for my Feathered Friends bag. Very lightweight, very "stuffable", very waterproof. But also fragile, I put a small slit in it while stuffing the stuffed sack w/bag in it, into my pack. Which reminds me, I need to get some cuben tape and repair it.

But... On my last Uintas BP trip this summer, I did not use a stuff sack for my sleeping bag. Since switching to a smaller, lighter backpack (ULA Circuit), I found the "soft rock" of a stuff sack not very packable (hence the slit) and also not to carry very comfortably. So, last trip, I simply put my sleeping bag in a plastic trash compactor bag in the bottom of my pack, with no attempt at compression or stuffing. Then stuffed my gear in on top of it, forcing it to just fill in the cracks and spaces. Made my backpack seem more roomy and also made it more comfortable to carry.

Long winded way of saying - I think the GG cuben/eVent stuff sacks are awesome, but I no longer use any kind of stuff sack for my sleeping bag when backpacking.

BTW... I use Zpacks cuben bags for all my other bagging needs - food bag, ditty bag, clothes bag etc. All are Zpacks cuben.

To get back to sleeping bags... I'm going to probalby get a WM Megalite for BP'ing next summer. My FF Swift is just too warm (20* bag) and at 2 lb's, I can save some weight by going to a 30* bag. Love my FF bag in general, am only going WM just to try something else. Have tried to warm up to the quilt idea, the weight savings are just so attractive. I'm a thrasher and a cold sleeper though, and just can't quite take the leap of faith and go quilt. Will revisit and reconsider a Zpacks bag vs. the WM before actual purchase in a few months though.

- DAA

sixstringsteve

I've got a WM Megalite and my wife has the hilite. I don't think I'll use the megalite for winter camping, but I absolutely love it for everything else. I've never been cold in it, and I've only had to zip it up once. I've been down to 25* where I was neither hot nor cold, but another 10* cooler would have been quite uncomfortable. I dig mine, and I'm a side-sleeping thrasher who is usually cold.

Last edited:
Have tried to warm up to the quilt idea, the weight savings are just so attractive. I'm a thrasher and a cold sleeper though, and just can't quite take the leap of faith and go quilt. Will revisit and reconsider a Zpacks bag vs. the WM before actual purchase in a few months though.
- DAA

I had the same concerns, being a thrashing, cold, side sleeper. I moved to a quilt this last year and love it. I have an enlightened equipment revx with an xtherm pad and have used it for four seasons now with great success. Unless something else changes, I won't be going back to a bag for cold weather.