can an engine rest on it's side on the ground?

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
I have too many engines and not enough stands and I need to quickly figure out a way to free up my hoist. I don't have time to order more stands/dollys, so I need to figure out something temporary until then. The engine is an old SBC block with heads and tin. I'm wondering if it's possible to just lay it on its side on the garage floor for a few days until I figure something out. Has anybody done this or is this problematic? will it crush the oil pan and damage the crank or anything? I'm in a pinch here and could use some help so anything is much appreciated.

Chevycrew

why not just block it up? the oil pan will support the weight, and just block under the front of pan or crank pulley. Then add a couple blocks to the side to keep from tipping.

But tipping it over should not hurt it either...

chadschoon

build something out of wood to hold the block off the ground. when I picked up my motor thats how they had it so I could transport it.

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
There's a dude here in Ogden that has about 25 engines all ready to run on shopping carts modified to fit the motor mounts. He wheels them around the shop and he can run them while still on the cart. Pretty slick, actually. Wish I had taken a picture when I had the chance.

4554x4

always modifing something
You wont hurt anything by laying it on its side.(maybe break sparkplugs if the ex. manofold is not there) If there is oil in it, it might smoke a little the first time you start it. No big deal!

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
why not just block it up? the oil pan will support the weight, and just block under the front of pan or crank pulley. Then add a couple blocks to the side to keep from tipping.

But tipping it over should not hurt it either...

Do you mean cinder blocks or something else?

thanks everybody for your suggestions.