can I flat tow an unlicensed vehicle without law problems?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
what is the law on flat towing an unlicensed vehicle?

I don't wanna mess with licensing after this year due to emission problems. what is the law if I just wanna go offroad license?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Well you can legally tow a licensed four wheeler so if you go get an OHV tag for your sami (which is super easy to do) then I can't see any reason for them to mess with you.

As far as an insurance aspect, I think that the vehicle towing covers itself as well as whatever it carries or tows...

So in that case you should be fine but I would get the OHV tag for your Sami...

lowe1974

mbryson's butcher
I my case the imsurance did not cover what yI was towing. I was towing a vw bus with my 4runner and the bus rolled and sent us spining at 60 mph. I had comprehensive insurance and they would not give me a dime for the bus that was totaled.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
In that case I would check with your insurance agent and make sure it is covered. I have asked my insurance agent about the same thing and he said we would be covered, but it might have been at an addition to our premium... who knows?

Caleb

Originally posted by lowe1974
I my case the imsurance did not cover what yI was towing. I was towing a vw bus with my 4runner and the bus rolled and sent us spining at 60 mph. I had comprehensive insurance and they would not give me a dime for the bus that was totaled.

Thats because you only had comp, and not full coverage...

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
You will receive a ticket if you park a unlicenced car on the side of the road or in the street outside your house. (been there)

I would have to say that you stand a good chance of getting a ticket.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Well, I know you don't have to license a trailer under 700 lbs, and since that is all a Zuk is good for, you should be ok.:D

tv_larsen

Technically, it is illegal to tow any vehicle that is unlicensed. I know, dumb law. I have, however never seen anyone get a ticket for towing a unlicensed rig on a trailer. I don't know how the HP would react to a flat towed unlicensed vehicle though. Sorry, not really a lot of help.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by ace
I heard once registered as offroad, you can't go back.

Wrong, you can have it licensed for on and offroad use at the same time. I have seen people with enduros that have both a license place as well as a OHV tag. Same goes for VW buggies at the dunes...some are also street legal. Just because you have a street licensed plate on your vehicle doesn't make it legal to drive offroad in a OHV park, just as a OHV tag doesn't make it legal to drive on the road...IMHO.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
My friend flat tows his uellow heep all the time, from Salt lake to vegas, to Delta, Co. Search "Boring Moab Pics" for a pic of his.