can this rim be repaird

JaredMD

I was driving and my lug-nuts came off and my tire dropped of the drum and rode for a little bit. My lug nut holes have been reemed out about 1/8" larger than factory settings. It is an american racing alloy wheel. Can a tire shop or somewhere repair the rim? I have had it as a spare but want it to get it fixed......any ideas?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
maybe the question should be, is it worth fixing? Even if someone can fix it (which I have never heard of such a repair) would you trust the repair with your life?

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Must have been a faulty rim, take it back to where you bought it:rolleyes: I would just use it as a spare, Or look into a different type of tapered larger lug nut

Lifelong Jeeper

I was driving and my lug-nuts came off and my tire dropped of the drum and rode for a little bit. My lug nut holes have been reemed out about 1/8" larger than factory settings. It is an american racing alloy wheel. Can a tire shop or somewhere repair the rim? I have had it as a spare but want it to get it fixed......any ideas?

Yes it can.

This same thing happened to me. I spoke to Wheel Werks on 3900 S and just above State Street in SLC and they said they will fix it for $10/hole that needs to be repaired. I believe they bore them out to the proper wheel pattern and then press a steel sleeve into the hole to take it back down to stock size. I haven't done it yet but when I do will keep that wheel as my spare. As far as safety, I don't know where the sleeve could go if it is squeezed between the axel flange and lug nut. I spoke to discount tire too and they said that if they see a wheel that has been repaired like this they will not allow it to leave their shop. Now for you to decide.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
It's a great idea to press things into lug holes. Aluminum doesn't crack!

Discount is probably right to do that. I don't really even like aluminum rims, but they don't bugger up stud threads when they fall off, I'll give them that. :)

grntaco

Yes it can.

This same thing happened to me. I spoke to Wheel Werks on 3900 S and just above State Street in SLC and they said they will fix it for $10/hole that needs to be repaired. I believe they bore them out to the proper wheel pattern and then press a steel sleeve into the hole to take it back down to stock size. I haven't done it yet but when I do will keep that wheel as my spare. As far as safety, I don't know where the sleeve could go if it is squeezed between the axel flange and lug nut. I spoke to discount tire too and they said that if they see a wheel that has been repaired like this they will not allow it to leave their shop. Now for you to decide.

I took a rim off my brother's Camero there and had the same thing done. He drove on it for 3 years without a problem until he sold the car. It is supossed to be stronger than the original aluminum holes but who knows. You can't really tell the difference between a wheel they fix and one that hasn't since they do such a good job so I don't think any tire store would ever know.

Last edited:

rollover

Discount Tire needs to be schooled on repairs of rims.
Henderson Rim has repaired rims for years. They mostly repair steel but the guy I spoke with said Wheel Werks knows there stuff on alloy. He thought they were a repair rep for one of the rim companys they sell. He also said Racers have used that type of system for years.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Oh, those two hours were gone a long time ago. ;)

If I knew what kind of rims they were maybe I could get a fourth and make it worth the time to polish the other 3 again. :(

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Oh, those two hours were gone a long time ago. ;)

If I knew what kind of rims they were maybe I could get a fourth and make it worth the time to polish the other 3 again. :(

I think they are Eagles, but you'll have to ask the other Bryson. That sucks. I'm gonna check the lugs on my Stuper Duty now.