Can we talk about the ATV bill in here?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Alright, now its frickin crunch time people...

Here is the letter I sent to my Rep...

I wanted to voice support about HB 425 which appears to be on the way to a vote sometime in the next 24-48 hours. I like the idea that the wording in the bill is geared towards modifying these ATVs so they are safe for on highway use and I also appreciate a special speed limit being placed on them

If there is enough emphasis on making these vehicles safe for on road use, and the ability to train riders in safe on highway use, I would like to voice my support for passing of this bill as a resident of our district and an avid ATV rider. If users are responsible, this could alleviate a lot of problems people face using ATVs for business and pleasure.

-Spencer Clements
address..phone number etc...
So I went against my better judgment and went ahead and voiced my support for this thing the problem is that I got this back in the e-mail this morning.

Spencer,

Thank you for your email. Rep. Donnelson would like to speak with you about this issue. He will use the phone number you provided (My phone number) to call you within the next few days and before 9:45pm. If this is a problem or if you would like Rep. Donnelson to use a different phone number, please email him back.

Kind Regards,
Jon McAvoy
Legislative Intern
I gotta be honest with you people...I am not seriously sold on this bill but I took the step and trusted the U4WDA folks and now my rep is gonna call me asking me why I support it and I am not gonna have ANY IDEA what to tell him.

I need some good arguments for this bill because I have nothing floating in my mind that makes sense!

edit...

it looks like the sierra club is wise to this deal..

http://www.utah.sierraclub.org/tracker/hb425s1.html

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Alright, now its frickin crunch time people...

Here is the letter I sent to my Rep...

So I went against my better judgment and went ahead and voiced my support for this thing the problem is that I got this back in the e-mail this morning.

I gotta be honest with you people...I am not seriously sold on this bill but I took the step and trusted the U4WDA folks and now my rep is gonna call me asking me why I support it and I am not gonna have ANY IDEA what to tell him.

I need some good arguments for this bill because I have nothing floating in my mind that makes sense!

edit...

it looks like the sierra club is wise to this deal..

http://www.utah.sierraclub.org/tracker/hb425s1.html

Good detective work on the Sierra club.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Well google is the all seeing eye, I just searched for
"HB 425" Utah
and I got the USALL site immediately followed by the sierra club Utah site...kinda creepy!

I mean this is why I wanted to have an intelligent discourse on this matter, your land use guys want us to blindly follow your lead without explanation and now I got my rep breathing down my neck asking me why I would want such a thing...can someone help me with this?

Here is the history for the bill, it looks like they keep it relatively up to date...

http://www.le.state.ut.us/~2007/status/hbillsta/hb0425s01.htm

Attachments

• hb425weird.jpg
    hb425weird.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Did you get a call Spencer??? I doubt it... I've received quite of few similar emails after voicing my opininon about a land bill... to date they have never actuall called me.

Anyways the bill passed, with an exclusinon for Salt Lake County... other large counties may get amended in there too???

This is huge for RS2477 as some counties have stripped the "ATV's are legit on county roads" from their own laws. So currently, when a county asserts a RS2477 ROW on the road, WAG groups can't use the illegal ATV ROW as an argument against us. While I don't know all the specifics & details... its obviously a big win for all motorized rec users.