Can winch rope be fixed.?

rock4fun

I was wondering if winch rope can be fixed and if there is any one around that knows hoe to do it. I broke mine this weekend and would like to get it fixed if possible Vs getting new winch line.

rollover

I recall a company called something like (Cable and Wire?) or you could try AA Calister (rope maker for ranches/horse tack). Utah Barrel might be able to braid in the repair like they braid the loop for your hook. You know it will never be as strong since it has been pulled to the extreme limit.

If your life depends on it you'll want it replaced. But for a quick fix to get by the braid would work for a while I'm sure.

Last edited:

Erik d_lux

There is a write up on Pirate 4x4 for fixing it, or I could do it if you really want.

I am not 100% sure on the comment that it wont be as strong again. I think the "fixed" part would be twice as strong as original.

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
Is it wire or synthetic? Synthetic is easily spliced. Wire is more difficult but not impossible. Either way, from a safety standpoint, it wouldn't be worth it. If you stressed the rope to breakage, the rest of the cable is probably in worse shape than new. Get a new rope.

Erik d_lux

Whoops. I was thinking synthetic. If its cable, get new or just put a loop on the end of what you have left if its enough.

If it is synthetic,... see above :D

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Yes, it can be fixed. It's easy, you can do it yourself. It will actually be stronger than it was before the break. The spliced section of rope is very strong. I did a writeup a while back.

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=24628

This is for an eye splice, which you can do if you broke the rope near the end. If you broke it more in the middle you'll do an end splice, which is essentially the same process, except you'll be burying both ends of the rope, instead of just one. The fact that you can splice synthetic winch rope back together after you break it is one of the major advantages over wire rope.

Edit: I'm assuming synthetic rope as well. If you have wire rope now, get synthetic rope so you can splice it together next time you break it.

Last edited:

rock4fun

Ya it is synthetic. And it broke from getting cut on a sharp metal not from being stressed to the point of breaking. So I guess it would be ok to have it fixed tell I have the money to get new right.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Ya it is synthetic. And it broke from getting cut on a sharp metal not from being stressed to the point of breaking. So I guess it would be ok to have it fixed tell I have the money to get new right.

Fix it yourself and save the money for something else. It'll be better than new when fixed.

Caleb

Yes, it can be fixed. It's easy, you can do it yourself. It will actually be stronger than it was before the break. The spliced section of rope is very strong. I did a writeup a while back.

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=24628

This is for an eye splice, which you can do if you broke the rope near the end. If you broke it more in the middle you'll do an end splice, which is essentially the same process, except you'll be burying both ends of the rope, instead of just one. The fact that you can splice synthetic winch rope back together after you break it is one of the major advantages over wire rope.

Edit: I'm assuming synthetic rope as well. If you have wire rope now, get synthetic rope so you can splice it together next time you break it.
That's a killer write-up, it looks like the last two pics are missing though.

Master Pull

This is a somewhat older post but I figured I should throw up some information in case people search this. Any synthetic rope can be re-spliced should it break, and their are a few different ways to actually splice it, any of the ways will remove a few feet of winch rope from your line. If you are hesitant about splicing a rope back together you can ship it back to Master-Pull and we will take care of it for you. I have repaired a few lines for my friends and the rope performs just as well as it did before it broke.

-Alex

rock4fun

I know we went over this but I was wondering if there is any one in utah county or in SLC that knows how to fix syn winch rope that can or would be willing to fix mine for me I don't really want to takel this project.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I know we went over this but I was wondering if there is any one in utah county or in SLC that knows how to fix syn winch rope that can or would be willing to fix mine for me I don't really want to takel this project.

I don't know of any local companies that offer that service. There may be. What kind of rope is it? I may be willing to do it for you. What's it worth to ya?

rollover

Most stores with Tack service like IFA stores, Cal Ranch, AA Calister should be able to fix it for you.

Keep in mind that you have maxed out the rope and now it will never be as strong as it was before. It has been stretched to its limit and than gave at the weakest point. The whole rope is stretched now.

JM2C

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Most stores with Tack service like IFA stores, Cal Ranch, AA Calister should be able to fix it for you.

Keep in mind that you have maxed out the rope and now it will never be as strong as it was before. It has been stretched to its limit and than gave at the weakest point. The whole rope is stretched now.

JM2C

I don't know that I'd completely agree with that--every rope I've seen broken has been because of some trauma to a section of the rope. (rubbing on a rock, or a piece of metal, etc) Essentially, they're more cut than overstressed.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I don't know that I'd completely agree with that--every rope I've seen broken has been because of some trauma to a section of the rope. (rubbing on a rock, or a piece of metal, etc) Essentially, they're more cut than overstressed.

What he said. It's unlikely that the rope was broken due to being exposed to a load greater than it's breaking strength. It's much more likely that the rope was exposed to abraision by rubbing on a rock or a tree, and it broke at that point. In this case, the only weak spot is where the rope has been cut, and that spot will now be strongest part of the rope, when it's spliced back together.

Fix it. If you decide to replace it, I'll come grab the broken one off your curb on trash day. :D

rock4fun

Yep broke it by cuting it on a sharp object not from being overstrsssed. Send me your info rockmonkey and we might be able to work somthing out.