Can you flat tow a vehicle registered as off-road?

leorn

reset
I am considering registering my 4runner as off-road only, the trouble is I don't have a trailer yet. Is it legal to flat tow it if it is registered as off-road?

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
FWIW, when I took a trip a few years back across the country and was flat towing a car behind me, they inquired at each toll booth to make sure the car was registered and insured. Best bet is call the DMV or local dispatch.

ricsrx

So all the times i have towed a project home (not licenced) behind my truck with a tow bar or dolly, It was illegal??
I have done it across state lines and have never had a problem.

Chevycrew

Not legal on a dolly either.

Think about this, all trailers must be registered... anyting you are towing, touching the ground, becomes a trailer...

abhaulr1

Bush Eaters
When I asked the local auth, I was told that when you tow another vehicle with a dolly, strap, chain or tow bar. As long as the vehicle doing the towing is reg, ins and legal to be on the road, it is legal. The ins from the tow vehicle covers the vehicle being towed.
Dwayne

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Guess the only true way to solve it, is to dig up the codes that apply.

Because nobody else did ;)

(2) Registration under this chapter is not required for any:
(h) trailer of 750 pounds or less unladen weight and not designed, used, and maintained for hire for the transportation of property or person;
(j) off-highway vehicle currently registered under Section 41-22-3 if the off-highway vehicle is:
(i) being towed;

So define towed... to me a dolly or flat tow is still towed. It makes no mention of a trailer. Now an unlicensed (street or OHV) vehicle would not be legal.

Corban_White

Because nobody else did ;)

(2) Registration under this chapter is not required for any:
(h) trailer of 750 pounds or less unladen weight and not designed, used, and maintained for hire for the transportation of property or person;
(j) off-highway vehicle currently registered under Section 41-22-3 if the off-highway vehicle is:
(i) being towed;

So define towed... to me a dolly or flat tow is still towed. It makes no mention of a trailer. Now an unlicensed (street or OHV) vehicle would not be legal.
And as far as the law is concerned, you can't transport any unlicensed vehicle. On a trailer, in the back of a pickup, etc. Not legal.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
And as far as the law is concerned, you can't transport any unlicensed vehicle. On a trailer, in the back of a pickup, etc. Not legal.
I got a ticket for a dirtbike being on my trailer with out current registration.
I have asked the DMV about towing unlicensed cars on my trailer, they want you to go buy a temp permit to move it.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
This is very good info, thanks kurt for looking up the codes on it now i know that if it comes to it i can tow my OHV with a dolly or like method as long as it has its OHV reg.

kobyhud

Lurker
I have always had issues with this particular law. I am pretty certain that if someone were to pursue this issue far enough in court court the law would get changed or modified. Most likely though the case would get thrown out and or dismissed before the law were ever modified.

I can see reasons why they thought this was a good idea (theft, unregistered offroad vehicles or boats that ARE getting used, hazardous/dangerous materials, etc...). But things on a trailer or in a truck bed are mine and what I do with them is no business of any one else so long as the truck and/or trailer are following all regulations and safety requirements. Registering a car, truck, or motorcycle for transport alone is just as ridiculous as registering a dresser, a bed (hey with coasters and a motor it could be considered a vehicle), or my groceries. Even intent to use said unregistered vehicle illegally is not a crime.

ricsrx

If your at the Little Sahara and you have any type of vehicle or bike on a trailer or in the back of your truck and it is not licenced it will get impounded. but if your out side of the park no one will take a second look....
that is just how it is....